Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a gear train

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

What are the cheap and practical ways to measure and drill holes at the right spot for the shafts/axles for a gear train.

No matter how hard I try, it never works out. The gears are either too close or too far. Is having the holes drilled by a cnc mill the only way out ?

Thanks in advance
Pradeep

Last edited:
Measure you your distance VERY carefully. For a small drill hole you should always use a center punch so the drill head has something to sit in before you start drilling. How big are your gears and what do you think is a good tolerance for placement?

You're a smart one Dk =) Didn't think of that.

On our big robots we have big holes in the holes where the bearings go so we can adjust accordingly.

thanks for the suggestions everyone !!

Hers a a picture of the gears to give an idea of the size I am talking about.

The idea of slots instead of holes sounds good and simple. But how do I fix it in place once I get it right ?

Thanks again,
Pradeep

Attachments

• 100_0359.jpg
    100_0359.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 296
I was just thinking about that too. Especially how to fix the ball bearings into the slots. We should both take a closer look at the website with the picture of that gearbox.

nBot robot exploded views

EDIT, oh, if you look carefully you might notice that on the picture of the gearbox I sent, it only has one driven gear and one driving gear (oinion). The driven gear fits into a regular hole with ball bearings, but the pinion passes through a large slot much bigger than itself. The motor screws are mounted to slots that let the motor slide back and forth to adjust the gear mesh between the pinion and driving gear.

I guess it's not so simple if you want to make slotted holes that have ball bearings sitting in them for regular driven shafts/gears.

Last edited:
Google "Gear Depthing Tool."

This comes from the clock making industry. A simple tool is made from a small plate with a slot. The unmounted gears fit over arbors and are moved in the slot until they mesh properly. At the bottom of each gear arbor is a sharp point that allows you to scribe an arc that represents the best gear center distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back