Building a competition buzzer system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Smith

Hi everybody. Here is a question from a bit of a novice in electrical projects. I would appreciate any input on the simplest way to make a competition buzzer with a light that will go on (and stay lit) ONLY for the first team that touches their button. I can wire up the lights and buzzer, but what component will I need so that only the light of first team to push their button will light?

Also, would you recommend going with a low voltage system (12 v) or would it be preferable to use 230 V as they use here in Europe? I am trying to keep the cost down and have it somewhat portable so I could fit it in a briefcase. Thanks!

It's definitely easier to use a PIC based system.. And go with 12v for safety.

If you are new to PICS, you have the option of using assembler (Nigels tutorials) pr a high leel language like Basic or C..
My personal preference is Proton Picbasic.. I did try to get my head round assembler, but didn't enjoy it!
There are plenty of free demo versions out there..

Here are some simple non-microcontroller-based circuits:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html

I made a Jeopardy style system based on that circuit for our Biology Department several years ago...for prep'ing students for finals. Great fun for the classes. Maybe a bit more complicated than Peter wants to build, but the simple SCR circuit should do the basics for him.

There are a lot of different circuits for this format. Google: Jeopardy game circuit

Ken

Attachments

• JeopardyGame.gif
    102.9 KB · Views: 381
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…