Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a competition buzzer system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Smith

Hi everybody. Here is a question from a bit of a novice in electrical projects. I would appreciate any input on the simplest way to make a competition buzzer with a light that will go on (and stay lit) ONLY for the first team that touches their button. I can wire up the lights and buzzer, but what component will I need so that only the light of first team to push their button will light?

Also, would you recommend going with a low voltage system (12 v) or would it be preferable to use 230 V as they use here in Europe? I am trying to keep the cost down and have it somewhat portable so I could fit it in a briefcase. Thanks!

It's definitely easier to use a PIC based system.. And go with 12v for safety.

If you are new to PICS, you have the option of using assembler (Nigels tutorials) pr a high leel language like Basic or C..
My personal preference is Proton Picbasic.. I did try to get my head round assembler, but didn't enjoy it!
There are plenty of free demo versions out there..

Here are some simple non-microcontroller-based circuits:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html

I made a Jeopardy style system based on that circuit for our Biology Department several years ago...for prep'ing students for finals. Great fun for the classes. :) Maybe a bit more complicated than Peter wants to build, but the simple SCR circuit should do the basics for him.

There are a lot of different circuits for this format. Google: Jeopardy game circuit

Ken

Attachments

• JeopardyGame.gif
    JeopardyGame.gif
    102.9 KB · Views: 380
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back