Budgeting a Wallwart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I was just googling certain things, especially about the wattage of wallwarts. On what components does the wattage of a wallwart depend on?

Also, why is not possible for Cell phones to create a faster charging wallwarts instead of having a separate one for low charging and faster charging ones.

I mean, think of a 2A wallwart and 500mA wallwart. Internally what is different in them, and how does a same cell phone be compatible (for two different wattages) with different wallwarts?

Thanks. Here's a thread from me after many many days.

No one disagrees with his point - it's perfectly normal to feel a slight 'tingle' with Class II devices, this is due to the safety components which are there to provide static discharge.

However, this doesn't mean it's outputting mains voltage - and in no way means that there was an issue with the device - it's perfectly normal, and a design 'feature' not a fault (it's to prevent the possiblity of a high static voltage building up on the isolated secondary of the transformer, and discharges this back to the mains/ground).

If you've still got the device you should find it, and check it properly, or throw it away (after taking it to pieces and posting the pictures) - assuming there is a problem with it?.

What I have said is that ~½ line voltage at extremely low current is a common characteristic of SMPSs. It doesn't indicate a fault nor is it dangerous.

A cheap SMPS could fail in a way that does put hazardous voltage/current levels on the output, typically because of shorts in a poorly made transformer, but this would feel like more than a tingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…