Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Budgeting a Wallwart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I was just googling certain things, especially about the wattage of wallwarts. On what components does the wattage of a wallwart depend on?

Also, why is not possible for Cell phones to create a faster charging wallwarts instead of having a separate one for low charging and faster charging ones.

I mean, think of a 2A wallwart and 500mA wallwart. Internally what is different in them, and how does a same cell phone be compatible (for two different wattages) with different wallwarts?

Thanks. Here's a thread from me after many many days.

I support For The Popcorn 's views here. I have felt the same. The output voltage (of the faulty wall wart) was mains voltage, and i was also able to feel the tingle when i touched the pinout. To be frank, this also meant that there was an issue with the china made cheap wall wart.

No one disagrees with his point - it's perfectly normal to feel a slight 'tingle' with Class II devices, this is due to the safety components which are there to provide static discharge.

However, this doesn't mean it's outputting mains voltage - and in no way means that there was an issue with the device - it's perfectly normal, and a design 'feature' not a fault (it's to prevent the possiblity of a high static voltage building up on the isolated secondary of the transformer, and discharges this back to the mains/ground).

If you've still got the device you should find it, and check it properly, or throw it away (after taking it to pieces and posting the pictures) - assuming there is a problem with it?.

What I have said is that ~½ line voltage at extremely low current is a common characteristic of SMPSs. It doesn't indicate a fault nor is it dangerous.

A cheap SMPS could fail in a way that does put hazardous voltage/current levels on the output, typically because of shorts in a poorly made transformer, but this would feel like more than a tingle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back