Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broken component on my Radeon 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poker68

I had an accident when installing my Radeon 9800 Pro videocard in my computer. I ripped of a small chip with a heat sink attached to it. I think it is a MOSFET. It has 8 pins and marked:

P33AB
FDS or FOS (hard to see)

Now I just have to find a company that have this in stock and is willing to ship to Norway. I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Best Regards,
Jonny Jorgensen

Attachments

• Broken_Radeon.jpg
    Broken_Radeon.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 6,043
As i see this is a PSU section. The component is a dual MOSFET from Fairchild FDS6912.

Attachments

• FDS6912.JPG
    FDS6912.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 6,130
Sebi, thanx alot for this information. :D

Any idea where I can order this component. Seems like most stores on internet require a minimum order size of several hundred USD. Preferably Europe, but US ok too...

J.J.

Great!

I've requested a sample, and got a confirmation that it will be sent to me.

Thanks a lot for your help 8)

J.J.

Did you get the sample, how long did it take?
Nearly the same happened to my 9800 Pro, when I tried to install the Zalman ZM80C-Heatpipe.
Only the cooler from the mosfet broke off, the card is still running but showing bad pixel-errors.

Yes I got the sample. I requested 2 ea. just in case I should overheat it and ruin it when soldering it back on. It took about 5 days shipping it from the Phillipines to Norway with FedEx, which Fairchild paid for. :D

A friend of mine, who works for an electronics workshop, soldered it on. Everything works perfectly as before the accident, and best of all it cost me nothing...

No help or support whatsoever from ATI or Connect3D. I'll keep that in mind next time I'll buy a new videocard. :twisted:

How did you do it?
I tried to register on Fairchilds site, but got no answer until now.
Plz tell me what I´ll have to do to get 2 pcs. too.
To get this part in Germany is possible, but only if you order >2500 pcs.
I informed Powercolor about the problem and even I installed the heatpipe they suggested to rma the card.
Problem is, the local dealer denies to do so. In his opinion I lost garanty, because of the modification.
Again I sent a mail to Powercolor and now I´m waiting for their decision.

PG said:
Problem is, the local dealer denies to do so. In his opinion I lost garanty, because of the modification.

Sorry, but I agree with your dealer!, your unapproved modification voided any warranty (as you should have been aware when you did it).

warranty, that´s the word I didn´t remember.

I agree with the dealer´s decision, but when the manufacturer proposes to rma the card, why not trying it.
Powercolor knew about the modification before, now I requested a rma-no. from them.
I hope they still accept the rma.

Well, I'm aware that accidents like this isn't covered by warranty. But in my case, Connect3D didn't want to repair the videocard, even if I offered to pay for the repair. And they didn't want to give me any information about what component I had broken. I guess they wanted me to scrap the card worth 400 USD and buy a new.

Again, thanks to the people here who helped me identify the MOSFET.

J.J.

Try this chip, low budget and works

Hello. I had the same problems on my card. Today i built my card, four hours of gaming Farcry and the card always work :lol:

The chip i take was the "IRF7313" from www.conrad.de (order number: 16 24 52; 0,78 cent each) It has the same specific electrical properties like the FDS6912 from Fairchild .
(Some small deviants: Turn-Off Delay Time, Turn Off Fall Time, Gate Treshold Voltage...see fact sheet) But, it works!

The whole german thread on:
https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139830&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Hello!

The same thing happened to my Sapphire R9800pro and I'm now looking for a spare chip :( No luck so far :/ (Mouser / Fairchild won't ship to Slovenia :x). Any suggestions?

Best,

Marko

P.S.: If someone can get a sample from Fairchild I'm willing to pay for it + shipping to me.

Hey guys is this topic still alive? I have had exactly the same accident but i can't get FDS6912(A) anywhere! I am from the Czech Republic. Is there anyone who has one or two these parts and who is willing to send them to me? I will pay for both the parts and the shipping! Please let me know! Thank you in advance.

Next time you guys try to remove a heatsink, pop the card in an antistatic bag and pop it in the freezer for 1/2 hour. The adhesive will losen it's grip and reduce chip damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back