Bridge Rectifier Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Morning Guys

Confusion reigns supreme !! I'm building a circuit which starts with a bridge rectifier and the schematic shows the diodes in typical triangular formation but I thought I'd be clever and arrange them side by side - takes up less room on the PCB. I did it properly, drew it first then laid it out and now I've looked at it so many times I've talked myself out of it.

Please would one of you geniui look at my sketch attached. The top is what the schematic shows and the bottom is what I've done.. ..

I used to be terribly indecisive, but now I'm not so sure !!

Thanks

S

Attachments

• Bridge.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 329
Hi Ian

Yes, I probably would if I was crossing the river, but I'm actually using 8 1N5400 diodes because that's what the schematic says I should use .. plus I don't have a 'bridge' ..

I was just hoping that a genius would take one look at my sketch and say ' Yes, MM you are right !' Remember, I'm only a poor novice ..

Any genius about ??

S

I think most people lie the diodes in a row... I have never seen them in a diamond shape... It makes more sense to lay them out as you have shown...

I just use a bridge.... 4 pin IC... Simple!
Chicken!

Music, your layout is correct.
Your confusion comes about because as drawn, points C and D are "swapped over" as drawn.
This makes no difference electrically.

JimB

Yes, you have it right

It makes more sense to lay them out as you have shown...

That's what I thought, but if you haven't done it before, it's as well to double check, and the more I looked the less .. .. well anyway ..

'Ey up, look, ^^^^^^^^^^^^ a genius from Rutland !!

JimB .. .. who you calling a novice ??? I ain't that good yet ! deputy, assistant trainee apprentice, if you please !

S

Morning AT

I'm sorry too, but I don't agree.
I'm just a novice and the ability to sketch out a circuit first - large or small - is essential.

S

It's really dead simple to layout a bridge rectifier - here's a nice easy veroboard example:

Attachments

• Bridge.bmp
    724.4 KB · Views: 546
When laying out a bridge on a PCB using discrete diodes, I tend to lay them out like this.
This way, no wires (traces) need to "cross".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…