Bpm china time signal on 10Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I can get a reasonable signal with just a little fading on 10Mc, obviously this isnt Wwv as I'm in the Uk.
Could this be Bpm china?
An unmodulated Cw signal would be kinda usefull for various things.
Edit: according to wikipedia Bpm modulates its signal so I'm not sure what this is, I get the same in 2 locations so I dont thinks its something in the vicinity.

Last edited:
Hmm, this might be my stupidity.
Trying to receive this on Cw is most likely removing the sidebands on the Am modulation due to the narrow band of Cw.

Last edited:
Earlier this evening, (about 20:00 ish) I had a listen on 10,000kHz and could hear a signal which either had some low frequency modulation, or what sounded a bit like the flutter which happens when a signal passes over the north pole. (Auroral Flutter).
I was not able to detect any time pips.

I could also hear RWM on 9996kHz from Russia.
I heard this one clearly identify itself in morse.

At 10,000.5 kHz I can hear an unmodulated carrier which is obviously local as there is no fading.
Also, it is still there at 23:20 as I am typing this post while all the other signals around 10Mhz have disappeared as the ionosphere has changed.

I also listened on 5000kHz and could hear a similar signal to that on 10,000kHz.
And I could hear RWM on 4996kHz.

I am currently (23:25) listening to 5000kHz, there is a time signal which is modulated as per the schedule shown in the Wikipedia entry for BPM.
RWM is there on 4995kHz.

23:30 Positive identification, the time signal on 5000kHz identified itself in morse as BPM.

I will have another listen on 10,000kHz tomorrow to see if I can hear BPM identify itself there.

JimB

what sounded a bit like the flutter which happens when a signal passes over the north pole. (Auroral Flutter).
I wish "location" appeared under every ones name. They you would know why, when I hear WWV the signal is strong enough to light a light bulb.

Thats interesting.
The 4996 Rwm signal is clearer here than the 9996 or 14996 is.
Listening now I get nothing on 5Mc, just a faint signal on 10Mc with no noticeable mod, and on 15Mc I get a reasonable signal with audible mod, but it doesnt match Bpm's protocol, I get 500mS beep, 500mS silence carrier switched signal.
Theres a web sdr on the west coast and another on the north coast of scotland, the former gets the same as me on 15Mc, nothing on 5 or 10, the latter doesnt get anything on all 3.
Listening to my rx and a web sdr in china on 15Mc I get the same signal, I'be been listening from 55 to 05 past the hour, no sign of a morse Id.
Confusing.

I have been listening to 10Mhz for the past couple of hours, also watching the rx af output on a waterfall display on a pc.
I saw something very weak on 10,000kHz, but I have noticed it identify in any way.

I have seen all sorts of odd signals which are +/- a few hundred Hz of 10,000kHz, but nothing with an obvious identity.

RWM on 9996kHz is nice and strong here at the moment.

I don't hear anything in the 5Mhz region.

JimB

I still get the signal on 15Mc, 1/2 sec on and 1/2 sec off.
4996 and 9996 dont come in till nightfall, 14996 does come in fairly well.
I think the signals you get close to 10Mc are local devices with a 10Mc osc onboard slightly off freq, I get them too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…