Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bose Wave Music System III not recognising any CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rounakr94

As stated my 4year old Bose music player is not recognising any music cd I throw in. After reading the format it gives the "NOT PLAYABLE" error. I opened it and reseated all connections but to no avail. Can anyone help me in this regard. Also if someone can identify the particular OEM drive in question and redirect to a compatible one would help me a lot.
I have attached the drive Image.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190511_212133~2.jpg

I don't see any place from where the laser could come out. Maybe you need to open up and see if it is dead and replace just that.

It could be a custom made drive for Bose, if you search for the patent, it shows 4 companies, but I'm not sure if they sell this drive to everyone.

Found the drive model, its a Tohei TC-S202. I also suspect the laser is dead as I tried to increase its power but it still doesn't recognise.
Also lasers for this drive are hard to find as the module itself doesn't have any identifying model number amd putting the drive model doesn't bring up anything.

Have you cleaned the laser head, the receiver, and any other other optics?

Last edited:
Yes I cleaned the laser lens and other things. But On closer inspection looks like the motor that rotates the disc is gone, as on inserting the disc it makes a kind of whining noise and then altogether stops spinning.

It's almost certainly a failure of the laser/optical unit, it's invariably the problem with CD Players - but unfortunately Bose (as well as been massively overpriced and relatively low quality) make sure that you can't source spares for their equipment.

It's almost certainly a failure of the laser/optical unit, it's invariably the problem with CD Players - but unfortunately Bose (as well as been massively overpriced and relatively low quality) make sure that you can't source spares for their equipment.
Contacted them and they quoted around 90USD in my currency for the repair with a 1year comprehensive warranty on the whole unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back