Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bosch job site radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Tech

Hey people, I thought maybe somebody here would hold the answer to my problem. I own a portable jobsite radio made by Bosch and every time I unplug it and relocate the radio or even unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in to the same outlet it will take close to 24 hours to turn back on. The radio has 4 outlets on the back and can be used as a power distribution or plug strip I guess. The light comes on the display but no buttons work and no readout on the display. No clock either. The 4 outlets have power though. Go figure, Any help would be great.

?
Something inside is making bad contact.
A broken solder joint.

JimB

Yeah, that is what I thought but it's like clockwork. It always takes the same time to stitch on. It isn't 24 hrs but more like 6 hours. I'll have to tear into it.

I assume that a "jobsite radio" is a ruffy tuffy radio that can stand being kicked about and knocked onto the floor a few times.

If the non-working period is a very repeatable 6hours or whatever, could it be that there is some timer function which you have overlooked or forgotten about? One of those features which make you think "Who thought that this was a good idea?"

JimB

I've looked everywhere on this thing and I've even had it apart for a different problem that was fixed. It has an "aux in" and the female receptacle was hot glued in place by the manufacture and it got pushed in. I don't think that it is a loose solder joint because that would make it erratic, this has the same delay every time.

Does the radio include a battery for maintaining the clock/calendar and user settings (e.g. favourite radio stations)? If so, and it's dead, that might be the culprit.

This is what a jobsite radio looks like JimB

Bosch Jobsite Radio PB360S, Power Box, Specialty Tools (EN) r23495v33.png

This was the rage among the tradsemen when it came out.

OK thanks Inq, that is the sort of thing that I had in mind.
I have seen something similar once before.

JimB

Most of the tool manufacturers sell similar items, Makita, DeWalt etc.

Obviously they are made rugged, to survive the harsh environment, repair wise though it would be useful to have a circuit diagram, which is probably unlikely?.

Hi Guys

At last ! A post in the forum to which I may be able to offer a useful contribution !!

I have one of these Bosch radios and I had exactly the same problem. There is a software issue involved, if the battery is present but dead or not present at all the result is a seemingly random selection of the software. If the battery is dead, it may be the battery itself or the built in charger at fault. If both are found to be good, remove the battery and wait 30 secs or so and then replace. This resets the software .. .. ..
Got this information from Bosch when mine started playing up so should be cosher ! JB, that's early afternoon speak for good ! :D

Hope this helps

S

The picture shown is a newer version but very similar. I don't have any rechargeable batteries or Bosch tools that have batteries so I don't use the battery charger. I just bought the radio for the radio. The problem occurs only when it is unplugged and plugged back in. I'm wondering if it is designed to have a rechargeable battery in the unit at all times. That would be strange because once the battery is charged you would remove it to use in a power tool. There is two batteries (AAA) that only need to be replaced when the unit no longer keeps the correct time. Those are still good.

Just reread your post musicmanager, if you are referring to the triple A's I'll try to remove them and reinstall after 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back