Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BootLoader for PIC 16F/18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay.slovak

Today I discovered a great bootloader for my PIC18F4320. Chceck it out:

It is using serial port @ 19200 or 115200, so Flashing is *really* fast. It supports any PIC16F/18F that can write in it's program memory, the boot loader is very small, only about 100 words. This is a nice solution to update Software in PIC without putting it in programmer or using ICSP.

**broken link removed**

PS: I hope this is usefull for you :D

sparkfun.com also has a nice bootloader system. The bootloader is called BLoader, and the PC software is called Screamer.

It looks about the same, however it has many more choices for baud rate so if you have issues at higher speeds you can turn it down easily.

evandude said:
sparkfun.com also has a nice bootloader system. The bootloader is called BLoader, and the PC software is called Screamer.

It looks about the same, however it has many more choices for baud rate so if you have issues at higher speeds you can turn it down easily.
Bloader looks prety nice, but it's only able to program:
16F87x
16F87xA
16F88
16F819

Tiny BootLoader is able to program *any* PIC (if it's able to write to it's own FLASH) :lol:

Hi

I can't change parameters of my COM1 port which is set up at 9600 (I'm not administrator) so i'd like to know if I can use the Tiny bootloader (mini 19200).
Would I have some problems with the communication by using it at lower speed?
:?:
Thanks

if the program doesn't offer the option of running at 9600 then no, you probably can't... however it seems odd to me that you can't configure the COM to 9600... from everything I've seen, the baud rate is set entirely by the software using the port... such as in this program, as well as hyperterminal, etc. if your restrictions are so great that software can't pick a baud rate to run at... then that's pretty bad!

gx260 said:
Hi

I can't change parameters of my COM1 port which is set up at 9600 (I'm not administrator) so i'd like to know if I can use the Tiny bootloader (mini 19200).
Would I have some problems with the communication by using it at lower speed?
:?:
Thanks
Tiny works with any speed you want. The only thing you have to do is change one value in bootloader in PIC. Then use command line parameter (in tiny PC software) to setup any speed you want. There is no issue, except that it will take longer to upload new program. (max 2s ) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back