Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boot loader.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a boot loader working the other day, so so sweet, took .1s to program a small hex compared to the minimum 30 secs or whatever with the programmer.

Zacman said:
I finally got a boot loader working the other day, so so sweet, took .1s to program a small hex compared to the minimum 30 secs or whatever with the programmer.

You're using a crap programmer then :lol: the MicroChip programmers generally try to program the complete memory - my programmer only programmes the required bytes, making it one of the fastest there is (if not the fastest?).

I also use bootloaders sometimes, it's really cool!.

Yeah I have the Olimex PG2 which only costs $10. I use IC-Prog as well, do you think the program makes the difference or the hardware? It verifies also which takes just as long as programming, combined around 30sec I think for the 876a. It does suck to program the bytes that aren't used but the old program still needs to be cleared right?

Zacman said:
Yeah I have the Olimex PG2 which only costs $10. I use IC-Prog as well, do you think the program makes the difference or the hardware? It verifies also which takes just as long as programming, combined around 30sec I think for the 876a. It does suck to program the bytes that aren't used but the old program still needs to be cleared right?

It's the program that makes the difference, the hardware is nothing to do with it. Verifying still takes a fair while because you really need to verify the complete chip to make sure everything is correct - but verifying isn't as slow as programming, it doesn't need the programming delay between reads.

The old program is cleared by erasing it before programming (as part of the programming process, code protection is also erased at the same time), you can't simply overwrite the existing code (except where you are only changing '1' bit's to '0').

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back