Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost-Buck DC-DC Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst3712

Hi guys, I need some advice on Boost-Buck DC-DC Converters.

Can someone please have a look at this 'Boost-Buck Adjustable Converter' on this web page (eBay): **broken link removed**

Would this circuit provide a set voltage output (assuming via the VR at the V-OUT) whether the input voltage (at V-IN) is Lower or Higher than the required output voltage? For example, let's just say I wanted 12.5 volts at the output... Would I get 12.5 volts at the output even if the Input was, say, 11.5 volts or even 14 volts?

What I have is a DC voltage that can be anywhere between 11.50 and 14.00 volts, but I want to regulate this to a set voltage of 12.5 volts (or thereabouts), DC, current up to 1 amp but possibly a bit higher. Found this circuit on eBay... Product Description gives me the impression that it may do the job for me quite nicely, but after researching Boost-Buck converters on Google, I am really lost now due to how complex buck and boost converters are (separately, let alone combined into one single package!). But maybe this one being "automatic" it's simple to use?

Unfortunately, the seller says there is no documentation available due to it being "DIY", so I can only go off the text on their eBay ad.

Do I need to apply any clocking or switching to this particular one, or do I simply provide an input voltage and then adjust the VR?

Thanks in advance.

Not much data.
Battery Regulator: 10-14V Voltage input, stable 12V output;
Found under applications.

I think this is what you want. "boost-buck" is a key work for what you want.
No external clock. Just give it a voltage. In your case 10 to 14V and it will output a voltage of 12V if the pot is set right.

... Just give it a voltage. In your case 10 to 14V and it will output a voltage of 12V if the pot is set right.

Thanks ronsimpson.
My case would be 11.5V - 14.0V to output approximately 12.5 volts :) ... but I would assume the 'Applications' listed are purely just examples.

Never used one of these before, but I'm actually quite excited. Would you know if the Output on these things are usually noisy, or should I filter it with caps? (in transit; haven't received it yet).

Last edited:
It will have some 130khz noise! (I can't remember what frequency it runs at) A coil (inductor) then another capacitor will help the noise. Try it first! It might make noise on the AM radio band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back