Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

books

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

hi everybody :)

i want to purchase a book that goes into detail about radio. things like impedance matching (thats the biggest thing im looking for), oscillators, etc.

i looked @ amazon for AARL and RSGB handbooks, but it sed that they were "call books", which i took to mean ham radio or something.

recommendations please?

zachtheterrible said:
hi everybody :)

i want to purchase a book that goes into detail about radio. things like impedance matching (thats the biggest thing im looking for), oscillators, etc.

i looked @ amazon for AARL and RSGB handbooks, but it sed that they were "call books", which i took to mean ham radio or something.

recommendations please?

You want the 'handbook'. the 'call book' is just a 'phone directory' of radio ham call signs.

thanx nigel :lol:

so which of those two books should i get? or both? are they the kind of books that'll contain all the math and instruction that i would need to design and build my own transmitter or receiver? not that i plan on it :lol: , i just want something that is VERY detailed about radio.

zachtheterrible said:
thanx nigel :lol:

so which of those two books should i get? or both? are they the kind of books that'll contain all the math and instruction that i would need to design and build my own transmitter or receiver? not that i plan on it :lol: , i just want something that is VERY detailed about radio.

They are mainly practical books, they provide the detail and maths that you need to understand what's going on, without going 'over the top'.

Either are a good choice, and will teach you a lot about radio and aerials. I have old (very old!) copies of both. In fact I have a copy of the RSGB VHF and UHF manual here with me at work, I brought it in for something a while ago, and haven't taken it home yet - it's dated 1976!.

Take a look at www.arrl.org/catalog and go to 'catalog and store' for a list of publications. At the top of the list is the "ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications." Also look at www.rgsbshop.org/shop/acatalog for a similar list of publications offered by RSGB.

How helpful or complete a single book might be is quite dependent on your background and what you are trying to accomplish. Many of the books written for radio amateurs appear to aim for a fairly broad audience.

If you have a decent sized library near you, see if they have a copy of the ARRL Handbook from any year. Many of the libraries near me have them, or will get them in on loan from other libraries for you. This way you can see if it something you want.

They are great reference books, with all kinds of charts and tables for things common to radio work.

You may find a amateur radio / shortwave dealer near you that has back issues, sometimes at reduced rates. The dealer near me has back issues of radio magazines, and ARRL books.

ive gone to the library to look for radio, electronic books, etc. the closest thing that i could find was a book w/ a bunch of old vintage radios in it :(

well, im gonna purchase one or the other, so which one? AARL or RSGB?

How helpful or complete a single book might be is quite dependent on your background and what you are trying to accomplish. Many of the books written for radio amateurs appear to aim for a fairly broad audience.

good point steve :lol: . i need to learn a broad range of radio stuff, but the two things that i mainly want to learn are:
1. i need the math and know how to match impedances.
2. i need to learn more about oscillators.
of course there will be more than that in those books im sure, but those are the two things that i really want to know more about.

and im going to suggest that you buy the 2005 version of the Radio communications handbook. you can order it from the ARRL website
is there any advantage in that over the old one? i think from 1994? cuz the one on the AARL website is 40 somethin smacks. i found one on amazon for $8.75, and its even hardcover!!

They do mention that the 2005 version is a major re-write (in 10 years) to include the latest technology. My feeling is to get the cheaper version if you are interested in more of the older stuff (basic principles), and at $9 it is a bargain.

If money is the object then I'd go for the older, cheaper version - the basics are still the same. Shop for other books in similar fashion - so for the same money you have more books.

Look for hamfests in your area (ARRL website lists a lot of them) - you'll find that hams buy and sell lots of books. They also have swapnets on their websites. One thing that I have found is that quite a few fellow hobbyists or radio amateurs have extras of many things and will often sell, at low cost, some stuff to people who will put the stuff to good use - experimenting and learning being prime examples of 'good use'. I was given many things when I first started and I do the same for others who are learning or experimenting.

Check your local library too. I make a trip to my library several times a year and look thru the various magazines related to my hobbies (electronics being one). Many of the magazines run series of articles (Nuts&Volts, QST are several of them) on the basics. When I see something of interest I simply copy the few pages that I need. It might cost a dollar or two but it's worth it - and much less expensive than the book or magazine subscription. Check college book stores too - sometimes the really beat up copies sell for very little - and while beat up the info is still good.

alrighty than, i will go for the old AARL handbook (and its hardcover).

ive tried the libraries here but they dont have nothin. no colleges in the area either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back