Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BNC to VGA Connector/Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzzar

Good day,

I have a design project to analyze road traffic. We have to use image processing which includes using a CCD camera. But the camera comes with BNC output, a Panasonic WV CP-240.

Now since the PCs don't come with ready-made BNC input, we have to design our own. Buying might be too expensive, as we have limited budget of about 800.00 South African Rands(approx US $95.00).

So I need ideas on how I can design the this BNC to VGA converter. Or any best ideas that would work for me.

Regards,
Ruzzar

Last edited:
You buy one, they are available at VERY reasonable cost (for security camera use) - to build one would cost a great deal more, and be an immense project (as it's essentially a TV standards converter).

To give you an idea of complexity, have a look at:

https://www.domino405.co.uk/technical.html

Bear in mind this is B&W only, and converts from 625 lines down to 405 (for VGA you need up-conversion, and presumably colour?).

Thx Nigel

Yeah, you are right, the circuits do look a great deal. Plus this is not the amin objective of this particular design project.

But since I need it to get the system working, I will have to see how I sort this out. I'm wailting for a response
from one of my reliable forums. In the meantime, i'll get ready to spend on that converter.

Thx a lot.

Regards,
Ruzzar

Last edited:
As mentioned theres a lot of processing to convert composite to vga, buying a video grabber is a sensible idea.

You can convert vga to composite black and white video with just a few comps, not the other way round.

As mentioned theres a lot of processing to convert composite to vga, buying a video grabber is a sensible idea.

You can convert vga to composite black and white video with just a few comps, not the other way round.

But that doesn't convert it to standard TV, it's still too high line and frame frequency.

Yes thats correct, however I've done this on a few tv's, only older ones tend to get upset, tv's became more tolerant of sync signals when home computers became popular.
So long as the frame rate can be adjusted to somewhere in the ball park, you can get a picture, the other thing is that vga isnt interlaced so you either need a graphics card that can output interlaced or a telly that has pal/ntsc compatability, if you live in the uk that is.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Thanks Nigel, you were right. Designing the converter would be a separate project itself.

And this is not the major part of the project, although essential.

So I opt for buying one. Likely a BNC to USB converter.

Thanks very much for you input and guidance.

Regards,
Ruzzar

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Nigel, you were right. Designing the converter would be a separate project itself.

And this is not the major part of the project, although essential.

So I opt for buying one. Likely a BNC to USB converter.

So you've now moved towards using a complete PC to use as a display - rather an expensive option?.

Why haven't you looked for commercial adaptors?, here's one (from Maplin who aren't particularly cheap) and it's only £40.

Ok

I will take your comments into consideration when going to buy the adapter.
And I will definitely come up with the best choice, courtesy of you, Nigel Goodwin :).

I have not decided completely, I still have about 2 to 3 weeks to do so.
As am now concentrating on reading about the project.

The project is: Road Traffic Monitoring. I think the name is self-explanatory.
Will keep comments coming on decisions and progress, just in case.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Ruzzar

so why dont you just get a monitor with a composite video input ??
they are readily available

Dave

Hello there

Now I have a question here, after getting a BNC to VGA converter, do we still need a frame grabber?

I was thinking the PC's VGA card would do, and acted as our frame grabber...

May you give me some guidance on this.

Regards,
Ruzzar

No Dave.

We need to do image processing on the video signal, that's why we first need to connect to the PC.

The monitor will then display processed pr altered pictures.

Regards,
Ruzzar

If you're using a PC with a video input card you don't need a BNC/VGA converter (which would be useless in that case) and the frame grabbing is done on the PC as part of the software with the input card.

Good day.

We did find a matrox frame-grabber which we can use i the project.

Now we are working on writing a code that would be able to display the frames.
This is just a once off project and we wouldn't want to spend much on it.

Thx a lot for your guidance...

Regards
Ruzzar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back