Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bluetooth vs xbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

I'm considering adding a radio to an irrigation controller I'm working on.

I'd like some decent range, reliability and a robust protcol built in (no manchester subroutines please), so I'm looking at integrated ISM based devices.

i'm torn between bluetooh and xbee pro. the xbee pro claims 100m indoor range, same as bluetooth, either radio will be using a good external antenna.

I like bluetooth because it's universal - my desktops, laptops and hand held already support it. I don't like bluetooth because the cheapest radio I can find is $70

I like xbee since its an industrial type solution, and probably more robust than bluetooth. Plus bluetooth associations are kind of a pita. Xbee pro is $32, but I'll need two radios, which makes it marginally less expensive than bluetooth, but only one computer will be able to talk to the controller (is that really a problem?). The xbee radio also comes on a weird little pcb with tightly spaced 2mm pins, the socket (or breakout board) for which is almost an extra $10.

what's everyones thoughts on this matter, or is there another radio solution with decent range (and robust stack) I'm overlooking?

I did not know BT went that far, I know my headset is like 20 feet.

But I did buy a pair of XBEE-pro modules, configured them with a PC (serial) and they are great. I will be getting more. I have one that is on the ground floor of a 10 story building and transmitting to the 5th floor. I did get the little rubber whip antenna too though.

So not idea on BT, but I love the XBEE pros

I just bumped this cause I have the same decision and its 2 years later now ,maybe some have opinions now ?

The cost of bluetooth must still include the USB dongle at about $35 on the computer side and one on the AVR which is quoted here as $70 ,so $105 all up . Maybe he means $35 either end in todays prices which would be $70 all up for bluetooth.

Something similar for XBee-Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back