Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bluetooth proximity switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixpack

I am new to the forum. I have some ideas and don't know if such a switch already exists. I am in need of a switch that could turn on or off if a paired bluetooth device is in close proximity. Basically turn on when the device is close and turn off when it is not. Does such a device exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bluetooth unit would have to be active all the time so you'd have power problems unless it was wired for power. Bluetooth range is not always predictable. Even on the lowest possible setting you'll get 10 times the distance line of site as you will with objects in the way. You could in theory use a shield over the antenna to dampen the bluetooth signal, but it's going to be difficult to calibrate. You'd need to specify the range you're looking for and the exact reason you're wanting to do this as the devil is in the details so to speak.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I am searching for a way to make a car completely key less. I know about the finger print system out there (not for me). with a set of bluetooth switches, I can make the car unlock when a paired device gets close to the car. Once inside all you would need to do is hit the start button and the car would start. Range isn't much of an issue unless the car unlocks itself from a quarter mile away. The antenna could be inside the car to help prevent that and the car battery would help with the power issue.

So, back to the original question... Does such a switch exist? Or can one be made easily?

You would have to replace or hotwire the ignition to bypass the keyswitch, so you'll need a schematic of the ignition, or at least schematic of how it connects to the car itself, then you can do anything you want. By the way, make sure that the signal you use to turn the car on etc.. is very very difficult to reproduce and impossible to reproduce accidentally, or you'll come back to your car one day with an empty gas tank and a dead battery =) Also make sure you have at least two or three FOB's.
We don't have a key for the doorlocks on our car and I'm waiting for the day when the keyfob runs out ofbatteries =P Luckily we had a remote start added to the car so there's two fobs on the keychain, and one in a drawer at home.

Last edited:
All that is true and easily done. I would still like to know if a switching device or circuit exists to be able to do it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back