Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bluetooth or RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfsk

Hello all.
Im doing a project which involves wireless transmission between a PIC18F6722 and a PC. The distance between the two wud be arnd. 10ft. Im real confused whether to use bluetooth or RF. The transmission wud be indoors. I have been told that bluetooth requires a lot of programming as compared to RF. Since PIC has a serial port, it wud be easier to use RF. So if i go for RF, I wud be using a Tx. at the PIC end & a Rx at the PC. In the case of bluetooth a module at the PIC end and a dongle at the PC.

So according to u which one wud be better( simple to install and use)?I would love to have ur thoughts on this. Also plz let me know whether the process I have described abt RF and Bluetooth r correct.

Thnx.

I would imagine using RF modules would be simpler and cheaper, you can check my tutorials for how to use them - notice you need a PIC at the PC end as well, to convert the Manchester coded data to RS232.

Thnx for the info sir. Cant we write a program such that the PC does the decoding?? Dont u get software to do the decoding on the PC? Well if two PICs r req. then I dont think I can afford that.

ashfsk said:
Thnx for the info sir. Cant we write a program such that the PC does the decoding?? Dont u get software to do the decoding on the PC? Well if two PICs r req. then I dont think I can afford that.
If you can get a windoze PC to bit-bang decode manchester then you'll get my vote for Ace Programmer of the year award.

For 10 feet do you really need a full RF module or bluetooth? You can use an infrared diode and receiver for that distance easily at low transfer rates. Or if you're really set on wireless you could use a small AM radio using an inductor/capacitor and a piece of wire directly moduleted from a PIC I/O pin.

I have done bluetooth data transmission. I used a module from A7 Engineering. Its really easy to do it if you know the basic microcontroller programming. Be sure to learn the bluetooth basics before you attempt to do any project cos the concepts in bluetooth can be a bit complicated.

The TLP/RLP434A RF modules are cheap as chips from www.futurlec.com

**broken link removed****broken link removed**

Wiring them to a micro controller is very simple...
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

For code examples, have a look **broken link removed**

Of course, this is all just incase you decide to use RF instead of Bluetooth :)

I almost bought a few of those on my last Futurelec order, but I want tranciever modules.

Sceadwian said:
I almost bought a few of those on my last Futurelec order, but I want tranciever modules.

Aye, the TLP434 is the transmitter, and the RLP434 is the receiver. You can have multiple receivers and they will all receive the data transmitted.

This is handy if you have no requirement of sending data back to the transmitting device. Simply send the data with headers for each packet and each remote device waits for that header before it proceeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back