Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bluetooth and IrDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilesh.7650

hi, i am thinking about this idea for my electronics project.

is it possible to make a circuit which can receive data via bluetooth and simultaneously send it via IrDA and vice versa? this can make it possibe to transfer data between two devices out of which one has only irda and the other has only bluetooth. if yes then are bluetooth and irda chips available in the market (in India) ?
i also need help with the construction of the circuit. thanks in advance.

If i am not mistaken, bluetooth is MUCH faster than IrDA. This would cause problems with timing, and really defeat the purpose of bluetooth.

it is not that bluetooth is faster or slower than infrared, it depends on the devices involved in the file transfer and not on the infrared or bluetooth, for eg. sending files over bluetooth in LG cellphones requires more time than sending files over IrDA in sony ericsson. i just need a circuit which can receive file via bluetooth and send it via IrDA or vice versa, it dosent matter to me even if the circuit starts sending the file after the receiveing is completed. anyways, thanks for your response.

Marks, IRDA specifications allow up to 2 megabytes per second.. Bluetooth 2.0 maxes out around 256 kilobytes per second. Bluetooth 1.1 and 1.2 is around 90 kilobytes per second

Last edited:
Well then i guess i was mistaken... :rolleyes: I would like to see your sources.

Umm.. The Infrared Data Association (IrDA) :)
There are actually plans on 100Mbit standards. Mind you this is all very short range. Only the slowest baud rates (old school modem speeds like 2400/9600 or slightly better) will transmit over any decent distance in a real world setting. High speed IRDA is usually limited to at least partially shielded transfers less than 6 inches away.

I think more software would be needed than circuitry. Why not make an IrDA port for a desktop computer with a USB Bluetooth adapter, and write some software to link the two. Heck, just use linux on an old laptop (something like an IBM 600e laptop)

I have done bluetooth data transmission. I used a module from A7 Engineering. Its really easy to do it if you know the basic microcontroller programming. Be sure to learn the bluetooth basics before you attempt to do any project cos the concepts in bluetooth can be a bit complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back