Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

blue FLED Solar Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowercase

Hi everybody, This is my first post after reading a lot on the web about BEAM robots. I´m glad to found an active forum to talk about BEAM bots (and othes) since every other place looks like dead years ago (is BEAM robotics dying?).

Anyway, I'm ready to start with my first symet and I'm just in the process of biulding the solar engine, here in my country -Colombia- its imposible to find 1381 IC's so I decided to go with a FLED solar engine, I've tryied a lot of things and can´t get it to work just right. I don´t know the reason but I´m suspecting some things:

1. I´m using a BLUE FLED (the only type I could get). Is it a problem? I´ve read that those need a higher voltage than other colored leds like red or green. maybe this is stoping my engine to fire?

2. The supposedly 5V 70mA solar cell its just delivering mere 2.5V at its best under a 100W desk lamp. I have found a more powerful solar cell and the engine fires but it´s almost unusable because I can´t solder any wiring to it since it seems like a very thin chromed layer wich the terminals attach to (by contact) and to make things worst it looks like it´s peeling away that kind of coating so I´ll end with no cell in no time, the upper layer of the cell is a thick glass (about 2mm) and it's quite heavy which is something I don't like either. the cells are about 50 x 50 mm so it's out of question putting them in series since I'll end with a massive symet if I use more than one cell.

3. Quote from: **broken link removed**

"The D1 can be zener diode and can be replaced with 3 diodes (1N4148) in series, a flashing LED (FLED), or even a resistor (10k Ohms). Ivar Thorson found that using a flashing LED is the most efficient. And thanks to Ben Hitchcock, a modified version of FLED solar-engine ( he named it Fred) is made possible to pop its way just under desk-lamp."

Have anyone tried this? (the diodes and resistor thing)
they also mention that you can replace the solar cell with photodiodes in series, maybe a little help for my cell to increase voltage?

Should I try the FRED SE instead? with a blue FLED????

The rest it's just a matter of picking the right motor and tweaking the resistor values to work, but I'd like to hear your comments about those three issues, specially the blue FLED thing since I think it's the starting point to begin debugging my Solar Engine.

Many thanks in advance

_lowercase

BEAM bots are intended to be very low power, minimalistic circuits. The blue flasher is probably using as much power as the motor (which also needs to require very little power).

Soldering to solar cells: Try this link Solar Cell Experimentor Package-The Electronic Goldmine Click on the instructions link under the product. You may have already damaged your cell, but the instructions are handy if you have the need in the future. Also there are some instructables on solar panels and soldering, a video as well, if you need more. It takes a little practice, and you should re-enforce the connection with hot glue or silicon goo.
**broken link removed**

Definately. The increased drop will prevent that from running. I think I would use an SCR or PUT . The LED is being used as a light sensor, so the diodes or resistor will not work. You can not solder to the solar cells, they use conductive epoxy.

Many thanks for your replies HarveyH42 and Ubergeek63

I'll look for a red FLED then.

Fortunately the cell is OK, I didn't tried hard to solder anything to it. I scavenged it from a garden solar light (something like a commercial pummer ;))

Thanks for the links, I'll try to solder the leads with the instructions there and then maybe add some resin coating to the botton to prevent this "peeling".

I also found this instructable on making conductive glue: Make Conductive Glue and Glue a Circuit

_lowercase

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back