Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BLDC pump suddenly runs dry...what happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery/Solar or mains originally

:facepalm: ..................................................................................................:facepalm:

1) Since you have this motor set up with your regulated current supply in the lab, can you use a dynamometer/ adjustable brake to vary the load and measure the effect on current/voltage/speed?
2) Why, when the IC provides a SpeedFB voltage output, do you go to the trouble of applying the tacho output to a frequency-to-voltage converter?

Agricultural world tends to be very secretive, this is the world I live in and must accept
But you said its a "typical agricultural dc bus"
So what is a typical agricultural dc bus?
Is there other equipment that runs off it? or is it just for the pump?
I am really trying to understand exactly what you are doing, so I can understand why you are doing it the way you are trying to.

I don't think the speed-representing -voltage actually comes out to a pin of ML4425?
The datasheet (re the internal speed control via PWM) says "The speed command is compared with the sensed speed from SPEED FB through a transconductance error amplifier."
SpeedFB is available at pin 20 (DIL version of IC).

..it sounds like you agree with my conjecture about "Pump suddenly running dry"...and it looks like our fears are real

No, I don't agree. If you have a clothes washing machine, stand by it when it is in the rinse cycle. The pump keeps running and the water as it gets drained, starts to get less and less. The pump is just pumping air until the cycle is over.

When your BLDC pump is running out of water it will start to try to speed up. But since the load has diminished the rotor and stator will go out of sync, and the driver if configured AS IT SHOULD BE, will throw a fault and shut down. This is controlled by you or who ever sets up the driver. No one else is involved. If you don't do your part, the driver can't do its part.

If you haven't built one yet, how do you even know how it will react?

Boy, if only BillyMayo or DexterMcCoy was still around, you and him could work this out (snap) like that!.:p:D:rolleyes:

I am really trying to understand exactly what you are doing, so I can understand why you are doing it the way you are trying to.

its a fixed speed water pump.
As in the following attachment

Coil "on time" is the full commutation period, ie 2.5ms, not 1.05ms as the diagram below says

Attachments

• DC Pump drive showing current and speed regulation of motor.pdf
    275.5 KB · Views: 155
Agricultural world tends to be very secretive, this is the world I live in and must accept

What agricultural industry are you referring too? I live in rural agricultural America and I can say that unless you are raising illegal crops the industry is not the least bit secretive. :rolleyes:

Personally I think you just make this stuff up as you go along being no one can confirm any of it.

OK, but this is a Fixed speed pump.
Why wouldn't the following work for controlling this fixed speed pump?

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 196
Maybe because it is unnecesarily overcomplicated. The most important part is how the 8000RPM is achieved. First you need to ramp the motor up - you cannot just out of sudden go from 0 to 8000 RPM, especially when the pump is already loaded. Second thing, if you unload the pump, the RPM will try to shoot because the torque will act on the unloaded momentum of the impeller until someting reacts. This means the motor will most likely get out of sync when there is sudden load change.

You seem to be obsessed with the fact that this is a fixed speed pump. FYI, in industry, most pumps are fixed speed. It's not the big deal that you're making it out to be. What is a big deal is that you're attempting to run a motor off of a constant current source, which several of us have tried to explain to you (with much banging of heads against brick walls), is totally asinine.

Why didn't I just keep out of this thread being I knew damn well who the OP is and what he is known for? :banghead:

Likewise.

I guess the only reason I bothered to post anything, is that, maybe, it would save others from wasting their time.
I'd never heard the monkey/football thing before. It's certainly appropriate.

So, it transpires from post #114 that the supply is not a constant-current source. Rather, it is a duty-cycle controlled current source regulated according to sensed motor speed. That makes more sense.

Edit:
Why more complexity? Why not feed the speed sensor signal directly to the opamp?

Last edited:
Yes. Any reason why not? And shouldn't the opamp have a speed-set signal (no, not the one from the ML4425 :)) as a second input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back