Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Birds - what's in your garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
During the recent snowy weather (there still is several inches of snow on the ground), I started feeding the birds in my garden, bread, seeds, fat cut from meat. They scoffed the lot!

Anyway, what birds do you see in your garden?

During the past few days I have seen:

Sparrows
Starlings
Rooks
Crows
Blackbirds
Chaffinches
Siskins
Dunnock
Great Tit
Collared Doves

JimB

I've lived in the country all my life, and I can barely identify any birds :D

I do recognise robins though (at least male ones).

But likewise, we feed the birds, most people do on our street - they usually come round at the same time every day, but didn't used to come one particular day every week - Cliff up the road used to feed them cake that day.

hi Jim,
This is my tally at the bird table.
Robins
Sparrows, not so many this year
Starlings, ditto
Crows
Blackbirds
Thrush
Chaffinches
Collared Doves
Magpies
Blue Tits

and the dreaded Wood Pigeon,, an absolute pest on the bird table, gobbles up everything in sight. Magpies killing all the song birds.

Started putting out old grapes out for the birds, the Blackbirds go crazy for them.

Last edited:
I've lived in the country all my life, and I can barely identify any birds :D

I do recognise robins though (at least male ones).

The male and female Robin have the same colouring, only a small difference in feather greyness around the face.

Started putting out old grapes out for the birds, the Blackbirds go crazy for them.

My wife has got a couple of vines in our three sided car port and they produce quite well, unfortunately the blackies always seem to find a way past the netting etc. and eat the lot.

Lol, that could be interpreted as a racist comment if taken out of context.:D

My wife has got a couple of vines in our three sided car port and they produce quite well, unfortunately the blackies always seem to find a way past the netting etc. and eat the lot.

Ohhh... you meant birds!
Sorry, misread that.

Lol, that could be interpreted as a racist comment if taken out of context.

It did occur to me, but I know I'm not racist and I refuse to waste my time pandering to professional offendees. That's not directed at you, but there are plenty who seek out potential insults. Sod'em.

Back on topic, a couple of years ago my wife put a surplus mirror in the garden as an ornament. One particular blackbird spotted his reflection and spent the next few days fighting himself. We removed the mirror before he starved or killed his oponent.:rolleyes:

In my garden there are only pigeons, chicken and a few sparrows, but also coconut and mango trees.

The mango trees are at a safe distance from the house. Ants like the fruits too, and here there are big "combat ants" which can hurt badly. :(

The coconut trees are of the low growing kind. You can pick the coconuts without climbing the tree or using a ladder. :)

Boncuk

Slightly different variety around here,

Kookaburras
Lorikeets
Cockatoos
Brush Turkeys
Ibis
Rosellas
Budgerigars
Willy Wag Tails
And lots I don't know

Mike.

Here in Northwest Ohio on the South-Western edge of Lake Erie we have:
Northern Cardinal (Bright Red males)
Tufted Titmouse
Junco
Nuthatch
Black-capped Chikadee
White-throated sparrow
Downey woodpeckers
Blue-jays
Mourning doves
Canadian geese
Red tail hawks
Coopers hawks
I even see an American Bald eagle on occasion.

During the summer we get a lot of wild Amazon Parrots. Don't know how they got here, but the parrot population is now quite large. They are noisy to say the least. Kinda cool seeing them, but the cool factor fades once you heard the racket they make for awhile.

Birds are like spiritual indicators. We've got some hummingbirds, a rare oriole, towies, sometimes a dove, ducks, and the biggest most obnoxious ravens.
Out in the hills, when my mind is calm, the bush tits may appear. At first you only hear their little chirps. Then, when you see them, you can't focus on any one of them before it darts around.

It did occur to me, but I know I'm not racist and I refuse to waste my time pandering to professional offendees. That's not directed at you, but there are plenty who seek out potential insults. Sod'em.
I agree, I just think it's funny.:D

Back on topic, a couple of years ago my wife put a surplus mirror in the garden as an ornament. One particular blackbird spotted his reflection and spent the next few days fighting himself. We removed the mirror before he starved or killed his oponent.:rolleyes:
Silly bird brains.

During the summer we get a lot of wild Amazon Parrots. Don't know how they got here, but the parrot population is now quite large. They are noisy to say the least. Kinda cool seeing them, but the cool factor fades once you heard the racket they make for awhile.
Although there aren't any where I live there are Monk Parakeets in many cities i.e. London.

Monk Parakeet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My son got a cage with some pigeons in it from some friends.

The kind that have the feathers growing out from the center of the breast. The birds were better looking than the ones at our State Fair. Suddenly the birds started to come up missing and some were partially eaten. I caught the cat and sent it to the humane society.

I had only three left the best looking white gray male and two females. The gray female was being ignored so a dove came courting. Suddenly he was gone. The next day an event to place in front of my eye's. I spot my white gray male under a carport in the evening un-able to fly back. A large falcon sitting atop a electric pole was waiting for him to chance it. Once the bird saw me he took off and then the falcon left the post.

The pigeon diverted away from the cage into a nearby field suddenly the falcon hit my bird ?

However at the same time it rolled away falling in a spin to the ground just laying their. Suddenly out of nowhere a small falcon swooped in on the larger one hitting it repeatedly.

Dazed and confused my pigeon woke up and started to walk a bit and flew to the cage with no ill effects.

Soon neither falcon had the prize and left.

It would have been a great video.

Birds ? None yet to cold. Except for Pigeons. :D

kv:D

All winter i have seen bright red cardinals in the trees and hawks soaring aloft. I have also seen big black birds that might be crows. Canadian geese are flying North and South. Swarms of small birds perch on electrical high voltage wires and occasionally fly.

I'm happy to report that I had one of these rare specimens land on my bird feeder last week. I managed to follow it to it's nest located at the end of my property where I snapped this photo:

**broken link removed**

I don't know what this bird is, but it was squawing around the back door last week and I got this photo right before I smacked it in the head with a shovel and buried it.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back