Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bird Flu, OMG the world is ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Proof people around the world are stupid, not just the one's in Southern California and Texas overloading hospitals because they have the sniffles.

**broken link removed**

Proof people around the world are stupid, not just the one's in Southern California and Texas overloading hospitals because they have the sniffles.

**broken link removed**

"Mujahadine Fighters getting what they deserve"

Quote: One fighter climbed into the lion enclosure but was immediately killed by Marjan, the zoo's most famous inhabitant. The man's brother returned the next day and lobbed a hand grenade at the lion leaving him toothless and blind.

kv

Edit: I didn't know that Lions were on our side.:D

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned about this flu, little out of season, and has spread over most of North America in just a few weeks. Surprised about only 5 cases in Florida, and the spokesperson seemed very reluctant to admit to those, or where they might have shared. Kind of got the impression there were more, but they don't count, since the don't live in Florida... Got to protect the tourism industry at all costs, least they didn't wait for somebody to actually die.

Thing with these outbreaks, is the virus gets a chance to change and adapt. The more it spreads, the greater the chance of it getting stronger and deadlier. So, you cough and puke for a few days, most people survive, at the start of it anyway.

Anybody ever read 'The Stand' by Stephen King? Seemed appropriate for this topic...

1. Overblown by media
2. WHO call it "Mild" case
3. Spread is limited
4. Weak against common antibiotics (tamiflu)
5. More people die every year from the common flu
6. Those dieing have weak immune systems, very young or very old, or poor health.

I wouldn't worry about it.

1. Overblown by media
2. WHO call it "Mild" case
3. Spread is limited
4. Weak against common antibiotics (tamiflu)
5. More people die every year from the common flu
6. Those dieing have weak immune systems, very young or very old, or poor health.

I wouldn't worry about it.

1. Maybe
2. Mild, meaning not heavy death toll.
3. From 6 states, to 38 states, in 9 days. Limited?
51 cases to 402 confirmed, same time frame.
4. Antibiotics have no effect on virus infections, but do help on secondary bacterial infections, which take advantage of the weakened immune system.
5. Flu season is usually in the winter months, people tend to be crowded indoors. More people infected, more chance for adverse reaction. Vaccines also kill a fair number of people... None yet for this one.
6. Don't know, haven't look into Mexico's problem, more interested in locally.

I'm not overly concerned, I learned to was my hands often, not just when they get dirty. Keep my hands away from my mouth, nose and eyes. And try to keep out of spray range, of those inconsiderate. Can't remember the last time I had the flu, least not the kind that comes out of a bottle...

CDC went to level 4 I think (5 is a full blown pandemic)

It has been detected in many locations, no one seems to be paying attention to the number of cases and fatalities though. The number of cases TOTAL throughout the ENTIRE world is only 1500 or so, the number of fatalities isn't even in the hundreds yet.

Over 5000 people a year die in fatal car crashes in Japan in one year.

No one noticed I said Bird flu even though the current H1N1 strain is called the 'swine flu' the bird flu scare never manifested. This one won't either.

700+ THOUSAND people a year die from heat disease alone.

Are we really THIS stupid to be so worried about something that has no statistical basis in fact?

Last edited:
CDC went to level 5(6 is a full blown pandemic)

It has been detected in many locations, no one seems to be paying attention to the number of cases and fatalities though. The number of cases TOTAL throughout the ENTIRE world is only 1000 or so, the number of fatalities is around 60, all but one in mexico.

Over 5000 people a year die in fatal car crashes in Japan in one year.

No one noticed I said Bird flu (I did) even though the current H1N1 strain is called the 'swine flu' the bird flu scare never manifested. This one won't either.

700+ THOUSAND people a year die from heart disease alone.

Are they really THIS stupid to be so worried about something that has no statistical basis in fact?

Don't worry I got this one.

The world isnt actually being attacked, the viruses are just existing.

Yeah I get it. But I hope the people who has the knowledge and power to stop, prevent or cure this should do their part.

Then you obviously don't get it. Krum if you got this explain it to sleekyG.

Some where some political moron with strong influence is puppeting the media again to direct attention away from another big F up on his part.

Statistically there are 6.5 billion people alive right now.
The average mean life span is around 74 years.
That means 87837838 people die every year anyway.
Or 240487 a day.
Or 10020 an hour.
Or 167 a minute.
Or 2.78 per second.

Life happens. So does death. Deal with it.

Yeah I get it. But I hope the people who has the knowledge and power to stop, prevent or cure this should do their part.

Why waste money on something that is killing people, causing fear? They can use that fear to make money, e.g. Buy tamiflu, etc. Medicine companies are companies, and this scenario is the same with AIDS and HIV. Why stop something that is making them money?

Why waste money on something that is killing people, causing fear? They can use that fear to make money, e.g. Buy tamiflu, etc. Medicine companies are companies, and this scenario is the same with AIDS and HIV. Why stop something that is making them money?

That is just absurd.

Most people in the pharma business are there because they want to help people, and make money. And how could they possibly make money on something that is not helping people. You somewhat contradict yourself.

Creating a drug for a new viral strain that crops up does not happen overnight, as these new treatments must be tested rigorously in vitro, then in vivo and finally in humans. This is a time consuming and expensive process, and the safety to the public must be considered as a major factor. In the mean time, we have to take what is currently offered such as Tamiflu.

If you care to educate yourself more on the Drug discovery to Market process then start here.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
It takes most of a year to develop and mass produce flu vaccines. They did real good year, not a single one of the strains of the flu that hit this year were in the vaccine =)

Maybe this one will pass without massive casualties, but I'm thinking it spread kind of quickly. Flu is kind of common, so how are people to know if they got something that will pass in a few days, or one that's going to kill them? Media hype, maybe, but still not something to take lightly.

I guess I'm use to dealing with the media hype on some things. Here in Florida, the start the hurricane hype shortly after the storm forms, without any real basis to believe it might actually make landfall. The ones that actually look like they might hit, they've got people boarding up windows, and buying massive survival supplies days in advance. When a storm does hit, most people are barely affected. No real way to predict where the heavy damage will be. If you have to evacuate, you can only take as much as you can carry, and boarded windows isn't much protection. Mostly, I just make sure I don't have to chase my trash cans down.

This flu isn't over, and it can get worse very easy. No vaccine for a couple of months, Tamiflu doesn't work for everyone. Anyway, been a long time since I had the flu, but don't remember it being mild or fun, so why let it spread uncontrolled. So, you probably won't die, just feel like it for a few days... For those who work for a living, is it fun to be one of the few who show up to work, and find you are grossly under-staffed? The confirmed cases, are just those who went to the hospital and got tested, who knows how many didn't.

Harvey, I just checked the CDC's website, there as of yesterday have been 403 confirmed cases of the swine flu in the US, and 1 associated death. More than likley thousands more have already had and are spreading it and the bulk majority of them are going to get better just like any other time you get the flu. This happens EVERY year, I think in the US during bad flu seasons something like 20 thousand people die.
So why the hell is the Media blowing this crap up our asses now? The only thing viral going on here is the story itself =)

news agencies are narcissistic blowhards and feel the need to report on anything they think will get them attention. They're like the class clown - they'd pull their pants down and jump around in the street if they thought it would give them ratings. Local stations are ridiculous with their incessant coverage of boring local crap that no one really cares about. It's like they need to justify the purchase of all their toys - helicopters, dopler radars, etc.

It's sickening to watch though, this is why I try not to watch TV news anymore and just get my info off the net, it's easier to blend multiple sources and get the real skinny so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back