Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

binary to 7 segment problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizort1989

hi guys

i am designing a 4 bit alu with 64 bit ram and i have a problem displaying the output of the alu

it works fine with 4 leds (i only have numbers up to 15) 4 bit

i want to display the o/p on a 7segment display

so i can use 7447 or 4511 but i can only disanceplay on it numbers from 0-->9

coz its bcd so how i can cascade it to display 2 digit number (10 11 12 13 14 15)

thanks in adv

If you can lay your hands on a couple of TIL311 displays, that would do it. They had 4-bit inputs, latch, decoder, driver and display all together. The display was hexadecimal, so all you codes are covered.

Device is obsolete, but I saw a few sites on the net looked like they might have some left in stock.

please guys help me i need a solution to my problem

i cant find this TIL311 displays you told me about

is there any way to cascade 4511 or 7447 ic to display to two digit number

from 4 bit binary input

DM74185A - check the attached datasheet - is a 6bit binary to bcd converter.
place it between output of your ALU and bcd 2 7seg drivers

hope that helps

EDIT: you can do it with only one bcd 2 7 seg as first digit is only 0 or 1 hence you can connect the pin Y4 (MSD-A) directly to segments that make "1" on first digit and Y1-Y3 to BCD input of bcd to 7seg (A input on bcd 2 7seg is lsb from your alu) so you will get "blank" first digit for 0-9 and 1 will light for 10-15 ... clear ?

Attachments

• dm74185a.pdf
    146.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Guy on eBay is selling TIL311's for eight bucks a pop. Says he has more than 10 in stock -

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back