Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to generate -12V from +12V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Hi there,

I dont want to use the battery connection technique which means I would need 24V battery and I have 12V only. The + and -12V is to power an op-amp and I need the -12V to be generated from the +12V supply (battery wiring techique messes up how the op-amp sees my input signal anyway).

So I have 12V battery pack, is there a convenient IC out there which will help me out? I dont want to build somethig from 'scratch'. I have done some searches but nothing as of yet.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/dcp021212d.html for a DIP solution. It is unregulated but a simple resistor-zener regulator helps out. It will generate equal and opposite output voltages isolated from the input, so as your battery drops the output voltage will still stay the same on + and - output.

Remember, they are unregulated and noisy. You might try the dcp021215d version with linear regulators on the outputs to get very nice + and - regulated outputs.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I dont want to use the battery connection technique which means I would need 24V battery and I have 12V only. The + and -12V is to power an op-amp and I need the -12V to be generated from the +12V supply (battery wiring techique messes up how the op-amp sees my input signal anyway).

So I have 12V battery pack, is there a convenient IC out there which will help me out? I dont want to build somethig from 'scratch'. I have done some searches but nothing as of yet.

Thanks very much.
You may want to look at this link
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/basic-opamp-circuits.35258/

You can also create a very nice 250ma virtual ground with a BUF634 and two bias resistors, if you are OK with +/-6V supplies.

Any opamp will work with a single supply voltage if its input is biased properly.
Look at my STICKY article.

You can create a charge pump using a 555 timer chip, resistors and caps.

So I have 12V battery pack, is there a convenient IC out there which will help me out?
www.digikey.com has the NJU7662D for $1.67. This IC, a couple of capacitors and you'll have apx -12V unregulated which is good enough for the negative rail of an OpAmp. Another option is just to use a rail to rail OpAmp or the biasing technique Nigel mentioned. It depends on your circuit.

Last edited:
Please post the circuit, the chances are it can be modified to run off a single 12V supply.

Thanks very much every one. I will be ordering a -ve voltage generator soon.

Just incase someone knows a way around it,basically, its a non inverting amplifier with a gain of 3. The problem is, its not outputting 0V with an input of 0V. With input=0V it out puts 2 something volts.

Please provide more information.

Does the input voltage need to be less than 0V?

Does it amplify AC or is it just DC?

If it's a DC amplifier and the input doesn't need to go below 0V then use a single supply op-amp like the LM358 or MC33171.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back