Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to charge a large capacitor bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

I have a 1millifarad 2700(3150 Surge) volt cap bank that I need to build a charging supply for. initially I was using full rectified MOT with 5k ohms for current limiting. it would charge to around 2kv within 20 seconds. I want to see the full potential of 2700 volts, but need some ideas. I tried making a half wave voltage doubler, but just sagged from the current draw of the bank and didn't charge at all. as far as parts I came up with, 5kv 35mA NST, several MOTs and a bridge rectifier made from oven diodes. 5k high power resistor. I also have a variac.

Attachments

• launcher.jpg
    launcher.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 450
Can you connect the outputs of two MOTs in series to give you a higher output voltage? You'll have to stop charging manually when the cap voltage hits 2700V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back