Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best / simplest way to limit voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I want to limit the input voltage to a project, the input will be connected directly to a pin on a PIC, I would like to have as wide a voltage range as resonably possible, is there a simple way to do this like a zener or IC or something?

Thanks

What do you mean, do you have a high voltage signal wich you need to input into a digital input on a pic?

Just put a resistor in series with it (10K or 100K). The pic's internal clamp diodes will limit the voltage.

I mean...

I want this pin to be a general purpose input so the user can attach say 12v or 24v etc. to it and I would see this as a digital '1' in my code without damaging the PIC.

Thanks

Re: I mean...

Scarr said:
I want this pin to be a general purpose input so the user can attach say 12v or 24v etc. to it and I would see this as a digital '1' in my code without damaging the PIC.

Like Exo says, a simple series resistor is all that's required, the input protection in the PIC (see the datasheet) will clip the input at 0V and 5V.

A 100K would work fine, and allow much higher voltages than the 24V you are using.

If you check the MicroChip datasheets they use the same method (with a higher value resistor) to feed mains into a PIC pin - to detect zero crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back