Best motor for precise controlling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

Hello
I want to control a motor to do specific moves controlled by a UC.
I have done this with a cheap RC servo, and that is quite easy, just need pulsewidth between 1-2 ms, for different positions.

But if I want something better, easy to use, and not superior precise, what shoudl I go for? Can I get better and more precise servo that can be controlled also only with a pule width?

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

Servo motors are good up to a point.... I can control big 24v 6 amp motors as accurately as needed..

PWM driven bridge, good feedback and a half decent PID control...

But if I want something better, easy to use, and not superior precise, what shoudl I go for? Can I get better and more precise servo that can be controlled also only with a pule width?

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance

Is the bolded phrase a typo? If not, then what do you find unsatisfactory about model servos in your application?

A cheap servo motor (hobby type) has a dead band of 8 uS or more. More expensive servos ("digital") can have dead bands of about 2 uS. So, if you want more accurate positioning, then the servo with 2 uS dead band may suffice. I have found Servo City (servocity.com) to be a good source for servo specifications. It also explains what dead bands mean, if you are unfamiliar with that term.

The alternative to a servo, whether industrial or hobby, is a stepper motor. There are numerous threads about such motors for positioning. Most hobby-level CNC devices use them.

John

You can make a servo from a geared motor with a feedback device on it, escap make some high quality items, you'd pay more than you would for a hobby servo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…