Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best motor for grabbing mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klitzie

Just wanna ask some tips in what are the suitable or most approriate motor in building a grabbing mechanism, the function is only to turn about about 180 degrees is a Futaba S3003 can do the job, i want a motor than can handle weight because our grabbing mechanism is build from solid material....thx

Klitzie said:
Just wanna ask some tips in what are the suitable or most approriate motor in building a grabbing mechanism, the function is only to turn about about 180 degrees is a Futaba S3003 can do the job, i want a motor than can handle weight because our grabbing mechanism is build from solid material....thx

Is this at the end of an arm? Or a crane mounted cable? Because if it's at the end of the arm I would worry more about the elbow and shoulder motors being able to move the mass at the end as well as the weight of the arm itself since they are all subject to the lever effect.

From what I've seen motors that can handle hand grip is quite easy since the fingers are so short- not to mention that you can arrange the fingers so they support the object from underneath rather than from side-applied pressure. THen the force the hand motor must output is much less.

I would use a motor at least 2x as strong as the S3003 though. If the fingers are 4" long then the fingertips can only apply a maximum of about 0.7lbs of force. BUt that may be enough depending on how heavy the thing is that you want to lift. Don't make the fingers too heavy- they only need to support the weight of the object you are trying to lift and nothing more, so don't load down your servo motor overbuilding the fingers.

THe arm...is a different story since the lever moments are so much greater.

Last edited:
Im willing to try the S3003 futaba because its the most common motor i can find. Also my grabbing mechanism is a lever type and the weight is not so much heavy that i need a much high tourque motor.

Klitzie said:
Im willing to try the S3003 futaba because its the most common motor i can find. Also my grabbing mechanism is a lever type and the weight is not so much heavy that i need a much high tourque motor.
I think you just answered your own question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back