Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best design to collect realtime data from large sensor array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom07

Hello electro-tech Forums!

I am currently working on a multitouch project that requires me to read the data of lots of optical sensors (photodiodes) in realtime.
Since I am still relatively new to the electronics world, I was hoping some of the experienced members here could help me and point me in the right direction what approach / design might be best for my requirements.

In a nutshell I would ideally like to have:
- realtime data (at least 50Hz)
- maximum possible number of photodiodes per microcontroller (respecting the above)
- cost efficient

I'd be very thankful for some advice on what combination of photodiodes, ADCs, multiplexers?/FETs?/BBDs?, ...? would fit my requirements best.

Thank you very much in advance and have a great weekend! :)
Tom

Given that (if I understand you right) there will be multiple photodiodes activated at once, and photodiode output is binary (only ON or OFF) then I would;

1. group them in banks of 8 photodiodes
2. use a parallel latch to "grab" each group of 8 photodiodes
3. those 8 signals are now output on the 8 output pins from the parallel latch
4. then read those 8 pins into your microcontroller in one read

It would require parallel latch ICs that have tri-state outputs, but fortunately these are common and cheap. And obviously one latch IC for every 8 photodiodes.

It should be reasonably quick as it will only take a number of microseconds to set the latch and read 8 photodiodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back