Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Benchtop Power Supply Circuit, anybody know a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus

Hi there,
I have a well stocked electronic parts junk box with various items suitable to make the above supply, including a nice toroid 150VA transformer with a 24V secondary.

What I would like to make is a linear, independant voltage and current regulated, power supply up to about 10A @12V.

I found a suitable circuit in an old National Semiconductor Applications book but the transistors used are no longer made.
So I'm looking for a more modern design, if anybody has a diagram or an URL to one I would be most grateful.
Many thanks for looking :wink:
Klaus

With linear method You can't build 12V 10A supply with 24V 150VA transformer, because need min.250VA trafo (and a pretty big heatsink).
Use an SMPS IC.

Klaus - if you have access to any ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbooks look at "A 28 v High Current Power Supply." It appears that it would be easy to adapt to lower voltages. It uses an LM723 for voltage and current control and 2N3055 pass transistors. In arrangement shown it's good for 10 amps. It appears in several editions including the 1994 copy.

If all else fails IM me.

Thanks Stevez,

They have that ARRL book in the local library, I will borrow it next time I get there. Why did I not think about looking in there? :wink:

Sebi, I have some *massive* heatsinks in my junk box. And, just in case, quite a few suitable computer fans :wink:
BTW, 5 Amps is probably all I need of this supply.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back