Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bench magnifier + light

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I'm looking to buy one of those bench magnifiers + light for my workshop but was wondering about the brightness of the light. I see most bench magnifiers with lights have a 20W bulb (one of the energy saving types) - does that mean it consumes 20W of power, or does it mean it's producing 20W equivalent light (ie. in comparison to a standard 100W incadencesant)?

In your experience are the lights on your standard bench magnifier enough to light your working area sufficiently while not using the magnifier (obviously assuming you have a couple general ceiling lights as well) without using additional lamps?

I have one that has a donut fluorescent tube around the magnifier, probably about 20W but I'm not sure. It means it consumes 20W and has a light output equivalent to about a 75W incandescent. It provides plenty of light for my bench, even when not using the magnifier.

Luxo is a good brand that stays where you adjust it where most of the imported brands, though a lot less expensive, have to be chased all around the bench. The Luxo lamps I've used have the 8" diameter florescent tube around the perimenter of the centered magnifing lens and was always plenty bright.

Dean

Luxo is a good brand that stays where you adjust it where most of the imported brands, though a lot less expensive, have to be chased all around the bench. The Luxo lamps I've used have the 8" diameter florescent tube around the perimenter of the centered magnifing lens and was always plenty bright.

Dean

Back in 1988 I was troubleshooting surface mount circuit boards for AT&T.
I wish I could remember the name of the magnifier I used.
It was rectangular about 5 x 8 inches and stood on 4 legs at about 6 inches above the board.
That magnifier was only about 3x magnification, but beat the Luxo lamp that I also had available.
There was a better view of the board with less distortion.
I should have marked down the manufacturer name as I would really like one of those for use now.

Pat

I find a pair of cheap drugstore reading glasses to be far more convenient than a bench magnifier. Pick up a 3X pair and a regular desk lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back