Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner; Want to make a unique digital watch, don't know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

C¹³

So, I am fascinated with the idea of trying to make my own digital watch, nothing too fancy, I just have absolutely no idea where to start.

The main problem with this is first of all, I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing I would post on this website? Or perhaps this website is geared towards some more technical projects in which case, i would be pleased if someone could let me know of a different forum i could try my luck with.

The second problem is where this watch might be different than what's already out there. I am so intrigued with the idea of making a watch that instead of saying the time as for instance " 7:45 " i would want it to say " 7.75 " or a the very least if i cant get a single dot as a decimal than "7:75 ". What i mean by that is I am constantly underestimating or overestimating about how much time is at my disposal. Everything around me is governed by a numeric system that is base 10; whether its percentage, or the metric system in its entirety. Progressively i would love to have a watch that also adopted that same system and instead of showing the minutes in a 60 base system i would like to have it as a percentage decimal so if it was 7:13 i would want to see my watch say 7. (13/60) = 7.22 {rounded to the second decimal place} knowing that the hour is 22% complete or that i have 78% of the hour left until 8. This might seem weird or absurd to many of you but it is something that I know i would personally benefit in having.

Before i get into anymore detail I was wondering if A) this is the right place to go about trying to make this project, and B) if this is even possible or if any of you have some fantastic ideas where i could start to make a plan or put some of this into an achievable goal.

I was hoping to have the numbers as bright blue or green LED as a start and as for how nice it looks as in case and what not I'm not too concerned, the more raw the look the better i would probably like it. Just to give you guys an idea as what I'm aiming towards.

Also id like to note that I am aware that having a watch with no numbers, for instance a watch with just a face and the hands but no numbers would give me a similar affect, but i am striving for something unique and also the watches with no hands would not work that well for me because i tend to mentally depict at what point the hands are as in if i thought it looked like the hands were at 7:30 then i would continue to use the 60 base time system rather than it being base 10 with a percentage. I feel like having it as a percentage would help me distinguish time better in this way and i think it would be an interesting watch to have regardless of how it benefited me.

Thanks!!

Nothing is absurd... You can buy a tiny arduino **broken link removed**
And start playing.... There is an IDE online called "Codebender" http://codebender.cc/

So you could have a small watch up and running in an hour....

Welcome to ETO!
Coding the micro should be straightforward, but building a tiny circuit may be problematic unless you're a robot ;). How are your soldering skills using surface-mount parts?

Using a fractional digital display almost has the same benefit of an analog display using the pie-bar graph method.

Why not do it as a clock first as a prototype, so you know you have a working design, then concentrate on how to make it watch-sized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back