Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner package

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieplz

I have programmed a few microprocessors in the past (mostly rabbits such as the rabbit 2000 with its Dynamic C), and am looking to get into the world of PICs. I was wondering if someone could recommend a cheap starter package, preferably with a c based programming interface.

The rabbits were very easy to program, though they run kind of expensive. I used them in work and school, but did not do much with other kinds of microcontrollers/processors.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Thanks.

The cheapest way to get started is to download MPLAB and HiTech C Lite compiler link, both are free. You can then write C and use MPLAB's inbuilt simulator to run it. Once you are comfortable with that then I would recommend getting an ICD2 clone (Inchworm+ is excellent) and start programming the hardware.

Mike.

Since you want to write code in C for the PIC, choose the 18F series PICs which are designed with C in mind. Plus MicroChip makes a free C compiler for the 18F series called the C18 which also works well with MPLAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back