Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner needs technical assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BristolGarry

Hi folks -

I am new to building electronics, and have a project that I would like to complete. The problem is I know what I want to achieve, but not how to GET there. :/

What I am needing to build is a motorized winch system that will (preferably) run off of 120V AC, and can lift approximately 30 lbs of weight at a speed no greater than 1/2 inch per minute (30 inches per hour) - that is the most important thing. I also need the system to have some sort of brakes on it (thus the winch idea) so that I can stop the motor, and not have the weight sink back down. I have searched for various schematics for a system like this, but have not had any success (sorry, but Mechano is not going to cut it in this case).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Garry Wakely

I'm not a mechanical engineering student, but if it were me, I'd try to find a scrap motor somewhere from some sort of home appliance (blender, garbage disposal, mixer, etc). Hook a spool of rope with a ratcheting system attached to it, and there you go.

Hope that helps.

Thats a pretty slow speed. I think your going to need a very deep gear reduction to achive that. Can you use pulleys on your winch? or does it have to be a dead pull off the spool?

Depending on your gear reduction style, it may hold the spool when the motor is off. It all depends on the weight and the type of gears used. You could also use a band type brake around one or both ends of the spool.

If you provide some more detail on exactly what this is for we might be able to make better sugestions on where you could find the parts.

Winch idea

How about a medium to heavy duty fishing reel driven by a gear motor.:D

The remaining question is how far .... what length ....is being 'traversed'?
If it is a long line that must be reeled in, you might want to consider some type of hydraulic motor ... easy to adjust speed ... plenty of torque or force without the need of gear reduction. ... This might be expensive to implement, though.

If you only need to travel a short distance, maybe 4 ft., then a stepper motor and acme thread could be set up .... not a simple plug in, but no lengthy project either.... Torque/Force should be sufficient, cost is moderate ... easy to control speed through pulse programming.

The problem with AC motors is that they generally want to run at high rpms ... requiring expensive gear reduction ... or expensive frequency control ....Also, it is sometimes a problem to reverse their direction.

If you would care to do so, please provide a little more information regarding your objective.

Last edited:
plz help me

HI there

i wanna move a wooden wall that rotate with 90 degree using servo motor or stepper motor but i don't wanna control the motor with pc,i just want control circuit so every body can use it , and the weight of the wall is 10 kg. i don't know how to choose the servo i need or even stepper, plz help me cuz i am really begginer thanks

HI there

i wanna move a wooden wall that rotate with 90 degree using servo motor or stepper motor but i don't wanna control the motor with pc,i just want control circuit so every body can use it , and the weight of the wall is 10 kg. i don't know how to choose the servo i need or even stepper, plz help me cuz i am really begginer thanks

Here is a stepper motor controller ...There are commercial controller ICs available that do the same thing ....
Stepper Motor Controller

pc based robot

i find many circuits in the net but most of them end up in failures,so please help me its my first project my plan is to build a ir obstacle detector robot so can u provide me with a suitable circuit & also the real use of pir sensor,avr atmega 8535 simple programmer circuit diagram &3v sine wave generator,please help me.

i find many circuits in the net but most of them end up in failures,so please help me its my first project my plan is to build a ir obstacle detector robot so can u provide me with a suitable circuit & also the real use of pir sensor,avr atmega 8535 simple programmer circuit diagram &3v sine wave generator,please help me.

**broken link removed**

The remaining question is how far .... what length ....is being 'traversed'?
If it is a long line that must be reeled in, you might want to consider some type of hydraulic motor ... easy to adjust speed ... plenty of torque or force without the need of gear reduction. ... This might be expensive to implement, though.

If you only need to travel a short distance, maybe 4 ft., then a stepper motor and acme thread could be set up .... not a simple plug in, but no lengthy project either.... Torque/Force should be sufficient, cost is moderate ... easy to control speed through pulse programming.

The problem with AC motors is that they generally want to run at high rpms ... requiring expensive gear reduction ... or expensive frequency control ....Also, it is sometimes a problem to reverse their direction.

If you would care to do so, please provide a little more information regarding your objective.
After sticking my nose in this for a couple hours and figuring out most of the details but is seems the poster has not even been back to check :mad:

If anyone is interested we can discuss it further, but as for now I will leave it off with this:

Jameco Electronics Electromechanical: LIN ENGINEERING: 41118S-62-07

a $13 200 step per revolution stepper with a 2.8Lb/In holding torque. A 10:1 gear ratio would be sufficient to act as both "winch" and brake on a 1" spool.

Dan

After sticking my nose in this for a couple hours and figuring out most of the details but is seems the poster has not even been back to check :mad:

If anyone is interested we can discuss it further, but as for now I will leave it off with this:

Jameco Electronics Electromechanical: LIN ENGINEERING: 41118S-62-07

a $13 200 step per revolution stepper with a 2.8Lb/In holding torque. A 10:1 gear ratio would be sufficient to act as both "winch" and brake on a 1" spool.

Dan

The numbers for the motor holding torque and gear ratio which you provide seem to be about right.

A 10:1 gear box would probably cost more than the stepper motor. It might have to be custom made.

At the specified output velocity of 0.5 in/min, the rotational velocity of the 10" dia. output gear speed would be less than 5.7 degrees/minute...slightly less than the angular rate of a minute hand on a clock.
The stepper motor shaft speed comes out to be 0.5 steps/sec...or 1 full step every 2 sec.

At the specified output velocity of 0.5 in/min, the rotational velocity of the 10" dia. output gear speed would be less than 5.7 degrees/minute...slightly less than the angular rate of a minute hand on a clock.
The stepper motor shaft speed comes out to be 0.5 steps/sec...or 1 full step every 2 sec.
Did I miss something? I specified a 1" spool, mind you I screwed up and what I looked at was a 1" fulcrum, ie radius.

That would be 2*2*Π (circumference) / 200 (steps per rev) 10 (gear ratio) = 0.003"/step=159 steps/½"=2.6 steps/second

On further thought, you would need a solid frame to bare the weight since 30Lb would be too much load on the bearings of such a small motor. If it is indeed a simple lift, the rate and force seems like the telescope thing restated, then a counter balance could eliminate the gear ratio since then all the motor needs to do is overcome friction and inertia.

Did I miss something? I specified a 1" spool, mind you I screwed up and what I looked at was a 1" fulcrum, ie radius.

That would be 2*2*Π (circumference) / 200 (steps per rev) 10 (gear ratio) = 0.003"/step=159 steps/½"=2.6 steps/second

On further thought, you would need a solid frame to bare the weight since 30Lb would be too much load on the bearings of such a small motor. If it is indeed a simple lift, the rate and force seems like the telescope thing restated, then a counter balance could eliminate the gear ratio since then all the motor needs to do is overcome friction and inertia.[/QUOTE

Do you agree that the original specification was to have the output velocity be 0.5 in. per minute? .... That is how I read it.

Then, for a 'large' output gear radius of 10", v=r*ω, so 0.5 in/min=10" * ω, and the output gear rotational velocity is therefore 0.05 rad/min.

If this is correct, the smaller gear rotational velocity is 10 times the large gear rotational velocity...just the ratio of the gear diameters ..... or 0.5 rad/min...which is the stepper motor speed...

The motor specification is 200 steps/2*pi rad ....or 31.8 steps/rad.
Therefore the motor would turn at 0.5 rad/min * 31.8 steps/rad = 15.9 steps/min, which is equivalent to 0.26 steps/sec...or about 1 full step every 4 sec.

So your stepping rate is 10 times more than mine ..... Apparently we differ on whether to divide or multiply by the gear ratio....I am saying that the rotational rate of the larger output gear will be 10 times slower than that of the stepper motor.... or that the stepper motor speed will be 10 times faster than the output gear.

In any event, this set up would not be a smooth rotational rate, and would depend on the application as to its acceptability. A 20 in dia. output gear might be difficult to find, or justify the cost....As you mentioned, the present considerations do not include friction losses, or safety margins...or transient effects.

Last edited:
So your stepping rate is 10 times more than mine ..... Apparently we differ on whether to divide or multiply by the gear ratio....I am saying that the rotational rate of the larger output gear will be 10 times slower than that of the stepper motor.... or that the stepper motor speed will be 10 times faster than the output gear.

In any event, this set up would not be a smooth rotational rate, and would depend on the application as to its acceptability. A 20 in dia. output gear might be difficult to find, or justify the cost....As you mentioned, the present considerations do not include friction losses, or safety margins...or transient effects.
We agree. The confusion is in my assumption of a small gear on the output shaft pulling the chain or whatever. I was taking the ratio as a separate entity to a 2" drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back