Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner, need help starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxmidd50

Ok, i'm just getting into microcontrollers and such. I bought some 28 pin 16F886's (thought they were the same as 16F88's but apparently not). I cant seem to program the thing. It gives an error when trying to transfer the program to the pic. Im trying to do this with a minimum number of connections for the moment, then ill add more stuff later. So I currently have Vcc-pin20, gnd-pin19, Pin8-gnd. And the connections with the pickit2 are 1 (Vpp/mclr)-pin1, 3(Vss)-gnd, 4(ICSPDAT/PGD)-pin28, 5(ICSPCLK/PGC)-pin27.
That is everything connected. Vcc is a 5V wall wart, rated at 0.4 A. Could i have fried the pic because i didn't use any resistors? I realize this isn't a common pic, here is the datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/41291D.pdf

I bought some 28 pin 16F886's (thought they were the same as 16F88's but apparently not).

Don't panic. You have not made a bad decision in buying 16F886.

The 16F886 works with the same language and can do whatever 16F88 can and more because it has more I/O pins. You just have to make sure where each pin goes. These will be different from the 16F88.

Regarding programming the device, others will give you a better advice as I don't own a pitkit2.

Hi,

Agree with eblc, thats still a good chip to use - no problem there.

You do not say what the error message is - it would help .

Your connections are ok, but not complete.

Pickit2 pin 2 Vdd Target must be connected to Vcc pin20 + of the 16F886.

This Pickit Pin 2 senses if you are independantly supplying 5v to your 16F886, if it senses no +5v then the Pickit will supply the +5v on that same pin.
It give you a warning message to let you know what its doing.

You do not need any resistors to make things work, but do keep the wires connecting things as short a possible, ie not more than 6" long.

If this does not work, please come back with three pieces of infomation.
Are you programming direct from the Pickit2 or through MPLab.
Have you specified the type of chip / or does the Pickit automatically sense the chip, plus what errors are actually given ?

Richard

Ok i got it working. I connected the pickit pin 2 to vcc and connected a pullup resistor from the mclr pin on the pic to vcc (which i found from another post). Thanks for the quick replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back