Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery status

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG1337

Hi!
I just made an interesting thing: used a roller battery and hooked it up with cheap desktop speakers. So now I have a portable speaker, if I calculated right then I have a portable 10W audio system :D
But I'm worried about the battery, the battery was dead before I added electrolyte to cells, now I get 12.8V and 8.3A with my multimeter.
So how could I know when the battery is, for example, half-charged etc? I thought to buy a cheap ammeter and hook it to the battery, but I can't leave it there the whole time, because even with my multimeter the wires got hot.
Is there a small device or circuit board that would indicate how much the battery is charged? (not needed to be digital, could be just few LEDs).

An ammeter has a low resistance; if you connect an ammeter across the battery you are effectively shorting it out - it generally won't like it & you are draining its charge. An ammeter is normally connected in series with the load - but this is not useful for measuring battery charge remaining.

I've got no idea what a 'roller battery' is, but most battery types have a terminal voltage that relates to the charge remaining.

Eh, maybe called differently in english... scooter, moped, bike battery, it is like a car battery, only smaller.
So I should get a voltmeter? The only place I know where to get cheap parts is ebay and there I can only buy a multimeter for 3$ :D

A multimeter has the voltmeter function built in, so yes it will do the trick.

Well, according to Battery Tutorial, the following charge percent & voltages apply for lead acid batteries:

100% 12.7
*75% 12.4
50% 12.2
25% 12.0
Discharged 11.9

Thanks!
Will write down those numbers on the box, but will try to find simply a voltmeter, it will be a shame if I won't use a good multimeter right :(

With only 12.8V, a single-ended stereo amplifier produces only 1.2W per channel at clipping into 8 ohms or a maximum of 2.4W with a horrible-sounding full blast square-wave.
It might produce 2.0W per channel into a 4 ohm speaker at clipping.

If the amplifier is bridged then it might produce 4.2W per channel into 8 ohms at clipping.

Who lied about 10 Whats?

PMPO is phoney baloney power.
Peak is simply one number doubled.
Music Power is rated at a very high distortion level only for a moment before the power supply sags or before the amplifier blows up.

Real power is RMS continuous power into a certain load resistance at a certain very low distortion from 20Hz to 20kHz with all channels operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back