Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery for exit signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumby446

First time posting here so sorry if this isnt the right sections for my question. I'm trying to find an alternative battery for the 6v 5ah battery that would normally go into an exit sign. I work with a lot of contractors and normally supply this battery but our vendor has been out of the for some time. If anyone has a suggestion or solution to this problem please let me know. Thanks much

First time posting here so sorry if this isnt the right sections for my question. I'm trying to find an alternative battery for the 6v 5ah battery that would normally go into an exit sign. I work with a lot of contractors and normally supply this battery but our vendor has been out of the for some time. If anyone has a suggestion or solution to this problem please let me know. Thanks much

hi,
You dont give your location.
But look here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=6...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Use any comparable 6V battery with similar (or slightly higher) amp hour capacity, as long as it will fit. A smaller unit will function but provide less hold up time. As long as the replacement cell is of the same type (Sealed lead acid, absorbed glass mat, or flooded leaded acid) then virtually any replacement will work, the float charges are identical among battery construction types and capacity is only going to affect the hold up time of the source.

Yes, check the type of the old battery - or post a pic of it. Those emergency exit signs usually use lead-acid gel cells, but you don't want to put one of those in if happens to be designed to charge nicads.

This is where the battery dimensions would help and the terminal type as in tab or spring terminals and if tab the diameter .250" or .187" (US Inches). Most Exit signs I have used and worked with use SLA batteries and here in the US readily available from suppliers like McMaster Carr Supply. A 6 volt 5 AH battery is pretty common in the SLA family.

Ron

We have some exit lights at work that I fixed up with a Radio Shack battery holder and 4 batteries. You can get 8 amps from a D size battery and about 4 amps from a C size battery. Some of the new rechargable batteries will put out several times more amps. I cut the plug from the dead battery and soldered it to the battery holder. It works great. You have to remember to replace those cheap Dollar Store batteries every year it is still cheaper than the factory battery.

You need to check your exit light to see if the battery is a seperate circuit on the other side of a relay. If so then the alkali battery will work. If AC keeps the battery charged then you need a rechargable battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back