Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charger - power in but no output - component help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamper

G'day all, probably an easy one...but not for me :)

I have a battery charger (Sunpak qbc-5) which has died.
One of the components is shot, and I can't identify whats left of it...
It has the form of a resistor (small ones) appears to have been made of glass, whitish in the middle and brown at both ends where the leads exit.
I can just make out what looks like 'EML F 120v Ψ' but nothing else (phase shift component??).

It was piggybacked (embedded) on top of a larger white block ceramic resitor if that helps at all, connected to the same spot on the PCB at one, and at a different spot on the other...

Can anybody help identify what that was so I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

PS voltage in 240 (charger is selectable 120/240v) LED lights up ok so circuit gets some power after the transformer, but no output at low voltage plug end.

Can you post a photo of what's left of the component?

Sorry for slow reply - just took this photo:
**broken link removed**
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sorry for slow reply - just took this photo:
**broken link removed**
Any ideas?

I'm afraid your photo didn't come through. You'll have to click the "go advanced" option when typing your post and find "attach file" at the top. There, you can upload the picture from your computer and attach it to your post.
der Strom

Am I the only one who is unable to see the photo?

Am I the only one who is unable to see the photo?

Sorry to say but I guess so! :(

Well that looks like a cemented power resistor that wasn't fully cemented in all the way, you can see the resistor inside the cement clearly.

problem is most likely an open-circuit resistor, or a bad semi-conductor component.

-Ben

Ah, now I see it. Yes, it seems to be a power resistor, as ben7 suggested. It's completely destroyed! Do you have any idea what happened to it?

Thanks for the replies all, it was a while (maybe 2 years) ago when this thing died - but I remember testing components, de soldering it and testing this thing - before trying to remove it so I could identify it and get a replacement (hence the broken bits)...

So best I can guess is that I thought this was the faulty part. It was only ever cemented in half way from memory...BUT the power resistor is underneath the other component cemented on top (the power resistor is still intact and has leads coming out).

The thermal fuse is sounding logical - maybe thats why it is cemented into the power resistor? But does that explain the markings "EML F 120v Ψ"?

Looks like the resistor blew and took part of the ceramic with it so you would have to replace it with a new resistor.

I would check the resistor ,use a resistance wheel if you can't find the value and work down until it works

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back