Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

If the switch is opened on the attached circuit, the alarm and light activate. I am having trouble adding battery back-up to the circuit. When I power the system with the batteries, it back feeds (as illustrated in red) into Relay 2. Is there a component or a method I can use to prevent the batteries from powering Relay 2 and still test the loop and power the light and alarm?

Attachments

• BatteryBackQuestion.png
    BatteryBackQuestion.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 162
Not quite sure what you want to isolate but a diode/rectifier should do what you want. Exactly where do you want the battery current to go and where don't you want it to go?

Exactly where do you want the battery current to go and where don't you want it to go?
I want the battery to power everything except relay 2 when power is lost. I do not want it to power the area in blue on the attachment.

Attachments

• BatteryBackQuestion2.png
    BatteryBackQuestion2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 154
Instead of using a relay to isolate the battery just use two diodes.
Place one at the output of the LM317 regulator to the rest of the circuit.
Connect the other at the battery output to the same output point as the other LM317 diode.
Adjust the output of the LM317 regulator is it is slightly higher than the open circuit voltage of the battery.
Use high current Schottky diodes for minimum voltage drop.

The circuit looks okay.

Those diodes should be fine as long as the load is more than a few hundred milliamps.

That should be "Those diodes should be fine as long as the load is no more than a few hundred milliamps."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back