Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bathroom Extractor Fan Repair - Capacitor Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

richgit

Hi all, happy new year!

I have 4 x Vent-Axia VASF100T Bathroom Extractor fans, 2 of which have started failing within days of each other.

When the lights are on, they work fine, however when switched off (on timer over-run) they seem to immediately turn off, however upon removing the cover the fans are pulsing / twitching which suggests a failing capacitor (or resistor?) from a quick Google.

There are 2 capacitors, one clearly marked '25v 220uF' which I've already replaced, but the problem still exists so I'm assuming the other one has gone, or perhaps another component on the PCB. The larger capacitor doesn't have any obvious specification markings, but it is 8.26mm in diameter and 13mm in height. Would any of you be able to identify the specification with this information?

Other than that I'm not sure what else to try, no components seems obviously damaged / swollen / burned. I could buy new fans altogether, but they're £60-70 each so would rather repair if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_125727.jpg
    IMG_20230103_125727.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20230103_125838.jpg
    IMG_20230103_125838.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20230103_125850.jpg
    IMG_20230103_125850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20230103_125933.jpg
    IMG_20230103_125933.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20230103_125950.jpg
    IMG_20230103_125950.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 271
There are 2 capacitors, one clearly marked '25v 220uF' which I've already replaced, but the problem still exists so I'm assuming the other one has gone, or perhaps another component on the PCB. The larger capacitor doesn't have any obvious specification markings,

It's pretty clearly marked as 470uF 16V in your last picture, you could get a better view by taking it out.

There may be components on the underside of the board. It seems to have an AC input, but no visible diodes/rectifiers to make DC voltages for the op-amp (TL082CN). Not much else can go wrong with just the op-amp and transistor on top, so I suspect more likely input issues like a blown diode.

Hi all, happy new year!

I have 4 x Vent-Axia VASF100T Bathroom Extractor fans, 2 of which have started failing within days of each other.

When the lights are on, they work fine, however when switched off (on timer over-run) they seem to immediately turn off, however upon removing the cover the fans are pulsing / twitching which suggests a failing capacitor (or resistor?) from a quick Google.

There are 2 capacitors, one clearly marked '25v 220uF' which I've already replaced, but the problem still exists so I'm assuming the other one has gone, or perhaps another component on the PCB. The larger capacitor doesn't have any obvious specification markings, but it is 8.26mm in diameter and 13mm in height. Would any of you be able to identify the specification with this information?

Other than that I'm not sure what else to try, no components seems obviously damaged / swollen / burned use this company May Flower. I could buy new fans altogether, but they're £60-70 each so would rather repair if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Im trying to repair a bathroom extractor fan which stopped working. It seems that the 1.5KOhms resistor has burnt out. Any leads on where to get the resistor or the replacement PCB for the timer fans?
Screenshot_20201110-182825__01.jpg

Also I am wondering if I try to change the entire fan with a new ceiling extractor fan of same dimensions, what sort of work is involved above the ceiling? For eg. do I need to access the roof to patch up the conduit all the way or would it be possible to just pull out the screws for the fan and push back a new unit in the slot ?
Screenshot_20201006-130021__01.jpg

Note: Pictures must be uploaded to ETO to allow members to view. If members cannot view the thread it will be close in a few days.

Thread closed. Members are unable to see pictures. Pictures are on another site that requires our members to join another website to view. OP has not uploaded pictures to ETO to allow members to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back