Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Stamp 2...what do you think about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsantana1988

I recently bought the Boe-Bot kit that runs on the Basic Stamp 2 micro controller. I think the kit is OK, especially since I recently got into electronics and computer engineering. I would like your guys opinion on this micro controller. Is it a good for a beginner? what would you say its limits are?

For a beginner it is fine.
Basic stamps are easy to outgrow, because compared to a standard micro controller they execute instructions MUCH more slowly. Depending on what you do or the precision you need you may never out grow them though. I would say keep using what you have, but don't stock up =) You'll either hit a wall where you can't do what you want with what you have and be forced to look at micro controllers more directly, or you won't and they'll always be fine for you.

I started with a BASIC Stamp years ago. Excellent documentation and is easy to use but is often quickly outgrown. I still have a BOEBOT and built my Mongoose kit to be a more advanced version of the BOEBOT. They sold 90,000 of them.
**broken link removed**

I've designed a project using the Basic Stamp 2 myself. It's easy to use and the Basic language is easier to program in then machine assembly language.

Edit: The project was to control a high intensity LED array. It interfaced to a keyboard for command inputs, performed a successive-approximation A/D conversion to measure battery voltage, interfaced to an LCD display for status display, regulated the LED intensity with the PWM output, and controlled the LED on-duration. It was much easier to do the programming for all that in Basic then it would have been in Assembly language. It did take about 70ms to go through the program loop (I believe it averages about 2,000 Basic instructions per second) but that was more than fast enough for the project requirements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back