Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic IR circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseche

Hi there,
I am trying to use the radio shack IR detector 276-0142.
It says:
Vce = 70v
Vec = 5v
Ic = 50mA
Spectral bw: 620-980nm

So what I did is to put a voltaje source of 9v, then a 115Ω, then the detector, then a led, then ground. This means that when the detector is totally ON it will let a current of (9-1.2)/115 = 67mA

Means that if the detector were completely closed the led will be toasted (receiving 67mA) but I am not beaming it strong enough.

Is this idea ok ?, how can I know what to expect if the emitter on that same package says it transmits 950nm ?, this means that if I put the emitter right next to the detector the led should receive the 67mA ?, why is the Vce so high ?

Sorry if these questions sound silly, I am just a wannabe in the EE field.

Thanks

Attachments

• IR.asc
    1.3 KB · Views: 173
hi j,
The Vce, Vec, Ic are absolute maximum ratings for the devices.

For the photo-detector use a series resistor, in the collector of the detector, with the LED to limit the current to approx 15mA.

For the emitter diode use a series resistor to limit the current to approx 20mA.

EDIT:
Look at and run this asc Sim
If you dont have the opto coupler model, let me know.

Attachments

• IR2.asc
    1.1 KB · Views: 193
  • AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    36.9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
the detector is always on .... why ?????

I turned off the lights in the room and everything and it is always on, in fact I checked putting emitter and it lights on with both so the problem is not that I am using the wrong item...

What can it be ?

the detector is always on .... why ?????

I turned off the lights in the room and everything and it is always on, in fact I checked putting emitter and it lights on with both so the problem is not that I am using the wrong item...

What can it be ?

hi j,
Please post a circuit showing how the photo transistor is connected.

Did you run my simulation asc file.???

The detector had too much current so now it is shorted and it appears to be turned on all the time.

I have exactly what you have on the right side of your circuit,

9v - 470ohms - led - detector - ground

and the led is always on, is it possible that the long leg of the detector is the cathode ?

When you use parts from RadioShack then you don't know the manufacturer's name, you don't get a detailed datasheet and they charge much more than a real part from a real electronics parts distributor.

They say it is a photo-transistor, not a photo-diode but maybe they are wrong.
A photo-transistor connected backwards will not conduct all the time but a photo-diode will.

hey audioguru, seems like you hit it, I found this on radioshack's website:

Comments about RadioShack Matched Infrared Emitter and Phototransistor Detector:

This package has been misnamed. The phototransistor is actually a photodiode. I tested this with a multimeter. resistance changed based on how far away an abject was. I then tested it in a an led circuit. The led's brightness was determined on how far away the object was. However if you need a photodiode application this is perfect.

So, seems like #1 it is a photodiode, and #2 the legs are wrong, longest should be on the ground side. I will try when I get home today.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back