Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BASIC compiler and MPLABS/ICD2 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I wrote a program in Mikrobasic (which I really like BTW). But I must import the .hex file into MPLABS. I can not see to debug other than run the program. Is there something in MPLABS that allows real debugging on a .HEX file (I can deal with the raw disassembly)? I did a view disassembly and did see a PC red arrow).

Or is there some other basic compiler that works in MPLABS?

I bought Standard PicBasic and MBASIC Pro. Off to look at their ASM outputs now. But MBASIC generates a ton of code and PicBasic standard I will not upgrade do other issues.

Anyone have something that works well in BASIC or am I stuck in PIC assembler.

I don't think mikro integrates into mplab. MeLabs basic integrates with MPLAB but costs around 100 for the non-Pro version. I don't know if they support debugging inside of MPLAB, though.

but, it's not that hard to debug with out a hardware debugger. use LEDs and serial output to help you along. You should be able to get by.

philba said:
I don't think mikro integrates into mplab. MeLabs basic integrates with MPLAB but costs around 100 for the non-Pro version. I don't know if they support debugging inside of MPLAB, though.
I have the $99 version and the lack of IF THEN ENDIF I will not upgrade. So I wasted the money on another company to get their PRO version and it
was not the right pick, bloatware. Proton looks so nice.. Maybe time to Ebay to two I have and go Proton. I can test with there demo.

but, it's not that hard to debug with out a hardware debugger. use LEDs and serial output to help you along. You should be able to get by.

That is how I have always done it.. I just have a cool ICD2 now and tring to use it. Using $2.50 chips over $.50 chips and all, I am still not finding the answer for me. I guess it is back to the old way.. Or pick a couple PICS I like and use ASM. I like the 683 for small stuff. Maybe stick with the 628A for bigger..

I hate to say it, but you might be right, that always worked for me.

well, maybe it's time to learn C.

I totally agree on your point about testing with the demo version. That's why I won't do anything with the PSoC stuff, no demo version of the C compiler.

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you're programming in BASIC, why do you want to run an assembler debugger?

It seems the ICD2 is the better ICD and I do not mind assembler, if I have
comment in the BASIC I can track the code, that is what I was hopnig for.
If I go the 100% basic way, the cost is high and most seem to make you use there parts/boards.
- just debug the code manually!.

Yea, I do that now, and it looks like I will be stuck that way or in assembler. Some of the assembler problems for me are actually not assembler but having to see where things are or moved to on the different pics I have :)

UPDATE:

Think I have what will work for me. With Mikrobasic's .ASM file, I open that in notepad++ and import the .HEX in MPLABS. View Program memory and register, and debug works for me.

Slow but seems to work, will know in a couple of minutes when I see the ADC value change at $20 (count) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back