Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynic

I posted a while back asking about circuitry for a balloon project.

I launched my balloon and the circuitry worked just great. Unfortunately my GPS antenna failed but fortunately my backup GPS worked and I got my video back!

You can see the video and details at the link below. The balloon pops 8 minutes into the video. It's interesting :)

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the help.

Good stuff!
Well done!

JimB

How far did it land from it's takeoff point? Did you get altitude logging at all, or did that go down with the main GPS too?

I almost got dizzy watching the video, but it was impressive, the altitude it reached... very nice

Woah, great job!

I did get dizzy from video, but that is an amazing view from way up there! It seems like the balloon was on the edge of the atmosphere. I've got to make one of those sometime...

Yes.. for the love of my sanity.. Put a thrust bearing isolator on the next one =O I was gonna show my wife the video but she's sensitive to that kind of thing and she'd have gotten sick =\ Maybe some kind of vane on it so that it tends to point in the direction the wind is blowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_bearings
Should be a cheap addon, for the weight you have it should cost less than 2 dollars from a well equiped hardware or industrial supply store.

By the way, sorry for giving you so much crap in your original thread about launching balloons like that. It still seems incredibly wrong to launch something of that size through airspace, but from what I've been able to read looks like it's okay.

Last edited:
I was thinking just a swivel but I'll see if I can find thrust bearings. I need a way to cut string with a small servo as well I think. The space program moves on.... 100KM mark is in sight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back