Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bad Switch in Trunk Latch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindtunnel

Never had a trunk light when I got my car so I decided I would install some led strips. Wired them up to the the 12v that leads from the latch switch and then the com ground. The lights work great when the trunk is open and for the most part turn off when the trunk is closed. Tough they still emit a very faint glow when the trunk is shut, I disconnect the wire and they turn off completely. I'm blaming this on the trunk latch switch but I was wonder if Instead of replacing my trunk latch I could just add some sort of relay to fix this?

try this, yea my drawing stinks, oh well!!!

Lol dude, your drawing...... is AMAZING!
Anyways, you won't have to replace your trunk latch, just open her up and have a look, i doubt it needs replacing, may be an easier solution

Depending upon how new the vehicle is, it's possible that the 12V 'feed' to the latch switch is supplied/monitored by a Body Control Module and is actually a switched ground input to that BCM.

Is there a telltale warning light on the instrument cluster, or somewhere on the dashboard, which indicates when the trunk is open?

The Chev Corsica and Pontiac Tempest hatchback models had this problem, traced to the rear switch over the license plate. Apparently, you assume that the rear cargo area light is off when you park. The next time you get into it, the starter doesn't turn. This fault was corrected with a newly-designed switch. If yours is stubborn, you could try a magnet and reed switch combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back