Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[b]Breaking News[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
I got an e-mail from the CEO of Texas Instruments. They are purchasing National Semiconductor.

Boy, I wish you would have told us and hour or two ago. 78% premium.

Which products will disappear first?

Wow!!

I wonder what line of current NS products will disappear first from the market.

Not that I have to worry about of any product of mine out there but it would be no surprise if such a thing happens.

Wow!!

I wonder what line of current NS products will disappear first from the market.

Not that I have to worry about of any product of mine out there but it would be no surprise if such a thing happens.

That's an interesting point. How do these things (mergers) go, historically speaking? Can a mfgr. actually drop significant parts of a line? (I know they can legally; the question is whether this would be a sound business decision or not.) I'm guessing that there's a lot of incentive for them to keep most, if not all, of the existing Nat'l line.

That's an interesting point. How do these things (mergers) go, historically speaking? Can a mfgr. actually drop significant parts of a line? (I know they can legally; the question is whether this would be a sound business decision or not.) I'm guessing that there's a lot of incentive for them to keep most, if not all, of the existing Nat'l line.
As with all businesses, it's mostly a matter of profit. If they aren't selling enough of a particular part to make a decent return then there's a good chance they will drop it.

TI also bought Burr Brown a number of years ago. Sounds like TI is trying to monopolize the analog IC market. Wonder if Linear Technology is next?

Yea I got the same email, Well as TI are great on samples maybe after they take over the DS1923 might come back on the sample list for TI......

Notice that this didn't happen until after Bob Pease retired. :)

NSC had bought Fairchild quite a few years ago.

I guess the design philosophy for not designing new builds with single source components will go out the window soon...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

generally speaking nothing goes away immediately. remember some of their biggest customers are military equipment vendors. if a AN/OU-812 requires a LM353, TI will continue making LM353's, because re-specing for a TL072 is a long and drawn out process (even though the two devices spec out almost the same)

Here's my email

Yesterday National Semiconductor and Texas Instruments announced that we have entered into a definitive agreement under which TI will acquire National. Attached is the press release we issued (View here), which has more detailed information, but I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you about the news directly and what it means for you as our valued customer.

This deal is a vote of confidence for our world-class products and our highly skilled team, and reflects the leadership position we have built in power management technology and other areas. It goes without saying that TI is a first-rate global company, and most importantly, they share our commitment to providing quality products and exceptional service to customers. We think you'll find that our product portfolios are exceptionally complementary. Moreover, through this transaction, we will become part of a larger, dynamic organization, which means that this business combination will allow us to deliver additional value to you through a comprehensive portfolio of analog product offerings, expanded manufacturing capacity, and continued excellence in supply chain and support.

While we are very excited about today's news, this announcement is just the first step in the process. We must obtain regulatory approvals and National shareholder approval, and we expect that the transaction will take six to nine months to close. Until that time, we will continue to operate as independent companies, and for us, it is business as usual at National. We remain focused, as we always have, on execution and results, and will continue to deliver the high-quality products and excellent support levels that you have come to expect from us.

We'll stay in touch as future developments take place, and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Please do not hesitate to contact your National account manager with any questions.

Best regards,

Don Macleod
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

correction :
LF353 and TL072 spec out almost the same..... LM353 was a typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back