Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR Studio 4.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Rider

I have mplab(microchip) and when i want to see how much time is from a line to another line in the program i use the "Stopwatch" option. i use breakpoints and i can see how much time the code does. For example to check a delay routine. Now, i make a start with avr(atmel) and i've got the avr studio. my problem is that i cant see anywhere an option like "Stopwatch" of mplab to check the timing of some code routines, delays etc. Is there any option? How can i do this job? Also i hear for another software, the "IAR". Is there any site to download it? Is it better for the avr studio?

Checking a delay routine is as simple as putting a break before the line of code that executes the delay routine and a break after the delay routine returns. The Stop Watch function can be used to do this. It's in the I/O view under processor. You run your program by hand or put a break point just before the call to the delay routine You right click on the stop watch value to reset it, or change the modulus. The you run your code to the next break point which should be immediately after the delay loop and look a the stop watch value.

You should try the help files before you post in the forums as all the information both you and I have described is easily found in them. IAR is a commercial C compiler. AVRStudio is the free software provided by Atmel and is based on it's own internal compiler which is ASM, though it can be used with external C compilers (such as the AVR-GCC free C toolchain that is available) I'm highly reticent to recommend pay software for a hobbyist that is using AVR's because the amount of free software out there is sufficient for anyone willing to ask or look into it a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back