Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aviation bluetooth headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robnz

Hi all, am an amatuer in the field of this area. Am a pilot and have alwYs had the idea of getting rid of the pesky cords in the aircraft. I am wanting to create a blutooth headset, with a device that plugs into the wall plugs(mic and ear) that automatically connects with your headset once its turned on. Also device needs to work with the push to talk button. Ive got a couple of old blietooth headphones with mics that I was thinking I could pull apart.

Any ideas on where to start, have got alot of time o my hands so am eager and keen on learning some new skills.

What is your background in electronics? What you want to do sounds simple but it's not quiet as simple as you might think unless someone can point to a read made commercial unit that will do this. The real hard part is getting this to be automatic and plainless for the user, the Bluetooth headset profile might work but there's no proscription for auto muting really so you'd need a physical button to interrupt the mic output, and it would always be transmitting which would use a modest amount of power so you'd either need to be wearing a helmet to hide a battery pack in or still need wires to a battery box you wear which then just becomes exchanging one set of wires for another.

I would also worry a bit about a bluetooth headset link if a possible failure occurred that just caused a dead connection you'd never be aware you were no longer connected to your radio which could be really bad, fidgeting with this type of equipment while flying an aircraft is not generally a good idea =)

Last edited:
You don't need to touch the press to talk button as that is already in the wiring of the plane. You would need to replace the wire with a wireless link. However, as already pointed out, flat batteries or any sort of problem is not something you want at 5000 ft. As you're not even moving around then wireless seems a little silly.

Mike.

i'm guessing you are in the US. wouldn't this device require FAA certification? if there were spurious signals from the device within the bands that your radio and nav equipment operate in, it could be a safety hazard.

Bluetooth devices generally carry their own certifications.

FAA certification would be an additional certification requirement. it's one thing to use a bluetooth device in a residential neighborhood, but a whole 'nother ball game in an aircraft where a tiny amount of RF interference can plant you in the side of a mountain....

FAA certification would be an additional certification requirement. it's one thing to use a bluetooth device in a residential neighborhood, but a whole 'nother ball game in an aircraft where a tiny amount of RF interference can plant you in the side of a mountain....

Yup, anything that may contribute to flight into cumulogranitus is frowned upon by, well, everyone. For the non pilot types, cumulogranitus = rock bearing clouds.

Mike, novice pilot of 75 hours but still nearly killed myself twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back