Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automobile problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tml1220

I have a problem with my car. It is intermittent. The problem: Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch on the headlights, tailights and brakelights won't work, the power locks won't work, and the radio looses all of its pre-programmed stations and the clock is reset to 12:00. When i get into it (before turning the ignition switch) I can tell everything is going to work or not by testing the power locks. Everything else runs fine on the car.

The battery and alternator tested out ok. I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box and they are ok.

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 1995 Buick Century V-6. I have already went to autozone.com and downloaded their wiring diagrams BUT they don't show the power locks, the headlights, or the brake/tail lights. Or if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tim

Helm makes makes shop manuals for vehicles like my Beretta so I'd presume that they make one for your vehicle. They are expensive - could be as much as $100 but they are the kind the professionals use.

I was pleasantly suprised with the Popular Mechanics manual on CD ROM. I was in a bind and wiring diagrams were too generic in other manuals and couldn't wait several weeks for manual described above. I purchased the CD - $20 or so as I recall. Had to call 800 number for product authorization key. The diagrams and explanations were great. Navigation is a little tricky but once mastered there's a lot there. You have to print your own hardcopy however the nice part is you print a sent then go to work with colored pencils. Probably the best $20 I spent on a manual.

Definitely sounds like a bad connection, the bane of automotive electrical problems. Like crust said, check battery posts, cables, earth straps, fuses etc.

Had a similar problem with a 1991 chevrolet... though I can't recall if I lost the radio presets. But my problem was the ignition switch itself. Check to see if yours feels loose with a lot of play and if it pushes in. Mine fixed itself somehow after a few times.

If you have a fusible link coming off the battery check its continuity while wiggleing it. They can fry enough to get brittle and intermittent without bubbling and distorting the insulation over them.

Found it

Thanks to all have replied! I found the problem. It was a bad fusible link. Fixed it and it fixed the problems.

Thanks again!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back